Chapter Nine- Alone Again

Clay waves goodbye to his friends as they leave after a long evening of games, food, and dancing. He particularly watches a small British boy hop in the backseat, sinking low in his usual hoodie and closing his eyes.

Clay felt something.. different? For the boy than he does for the rest of his friends. He felt more relaxed and comfortable, and even a bit flustered at times when he was around him.

Clay rubs his neck and collapses on the couch, his eyes now running over the decorations from the party. He exhales a deep breath and leans his head back on the couch, thinking over the events of tonight.

A smile slips on his face when he remembers George's victory over Nick. He hasn't laughed this hard in YEARS.

His smile fades as a text pops up on his phone,

Mom- happy birthday                                             11:34

Clay stares at the message and drops his phone on the couch next to him.

Couldn't of even sent it with an exclamation point could ya..

It's nights like these that he wished he wasn't alone. By now he's used to it, and that makes it a little easier, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. He'd give anything for 24/7 company, as weird as that sounds.

His moms always away on business trips with his dad, and they expect him to get straight A's, keep the house clean, make it to every single football practice even if he doesn't feel good, and provide for himself with a monthly check of $2,000, which he's been saving for the past two years.

He rubs his eyes tiredly and runs his hand through his hair, gripping the ends before letting go and sighing.

I'm glad fall breaks this week.. I can't stand school right now..

He stands up and switches all the lights off as he heads upstairs to his room. As soon as he gets the doors open, he runs to his bed and jumps in it, kicking his shoes off and shoving his face in the pillows.

After a minute, and flips over and stares at his ceiling, his green eyes looking dull in the dim light. He slips his hand into his hoodie pockets and pulls out a slightly crumpled piece of paper with messy writing on it.

George's victory sheet.

He smiles at it and lays it on his dresser.

I hope I didn't weird him out by pushing him against the wall.. he seemed so awkward after that.. I just wanted to distract him so I could get the note.. I'm sure he's fine. He acted pretty normal tonight, so that's a good sign.

He clicks off his lights using a remote and closes his eyes, not even caring to change into pajamas. Not long after, he falls asleep..

Short chapter sorry! I just feel like we need some Clay insight ya know?
Word Count-486