𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

TW / / SELF HARM, SUDDEN OUTBURST
DREAM'S POV
I woke up rather uncomfortably but instead of the hard concrete I thought I would wake up to, I'm within the warmth of my own home. Everything was so familiar and warming but at the same time, I'm confused.

I heard muffled and somewhat ambiguous voices in the living room and a radiating, irrationally irritating light also happened to come from there. Usually, that might have not been so strange if I hadn't heard a voice beside my mom's. She's not calling somebody. The person was directly there.

It's a sickeningly familiar, monotone voice but I couldn't seem to remember, frustration building up, and as I rub my eyes in vain attempt to better see, I finally realised who the other 'unknown' voice was.

I immediately sat up from where I was, discarding the sweet embrace of a blanket and pillow as I strode across the lounge, entering the bright light of the living room- an extremely unexpected anger found its way.

My first instinct and the one I happened to act upon is to shout.

She have the nerve to invite him... here! Knowing her, she probably just invites some random people off of the street and for all I know, she could be saying some ridiculous shit!

I shouted whatever came to mind, ignoring whether they're blasphemy or just plain rude. I shouted until my voice started to get hoarse as her eyes widened in sadness and whatever emotion she might be feeling, her eyes glossed and watery.

I saw the cause of my anger. I'm tempted to shout but something else unexpected happens.

He covered his ears?

My shouting came to a halt. I realised what I'd done. I finally realised what I was doing.

I realised that Mom probably hasn't even said anything.

The boy I thought to be strong and flawless, has let go of his image and covered his ears, a soft plea escaping his lips.

In the moment, I only managed to whisper a quick apology before bolting up the dark stairs and into my bedroom, escaping the brutal reality of the behaviour I had just shown.

I slammed the door, making my way to the corner of my room. It was a strange place to seek comfort but after the countless days and nights where I couldn't get back into the bed after falling off (yeah that happens), I'd have just the sliver of energy to crawl back here.

I sat down, curling into a ball of embarrassment and regret as my fingernails dug deep into my arms, trickles of crimson blood flowing down my arm.

I didn't try to wipe away the shows of my shame as I sat there. I let myself quietly sob myself back to sleep. I repeated the words in my head said to me in a consoling loop.

'Calm down Dream.'

The words are simple but they show something else. The person who I thought hated me mutually ignored all previous experiences and tried to calm me down even when he himself was a mess. The kindness is much beyond me but I find a remarkable relief in those words. 

I make a small mental note to myself- apologise to them later.

TECHNO'S POV
I let out a whisper, not quite remembering what I had said, and finally looked up at the enraged Dream. He seemed to realise the extent of what he might have said, a bitter, regretful expression reaching his face.

His peculiar mask blocked any sign of emotion but he was an open book at this moment. After years of shallow rivalry, I finally knew why we participated in this strange nonsense.

I felt a small pang of guilt as he takes off after muttering something under his breath. My sentences have become shorter. I don't know what to say or do anymore.

I looked to Emma, for any sign of what to do but she was just as confused as me. I couldn't comprehend how heartbroken she must have felt at her own son shouting at her.

I wouldn't have the courage to really do anything but to be honest, can't anyway so it does it really matter in the end?

"Would you go and check on Clay in a bit? I need to...have some alone time." Her nervous laughter at her own words turned into a soft cry as she walked away, leaving me here alone.

- - -

I sat there, for who knew how long. I wasn't ready to face him yet, every part of me urging me to stay out of this issue. I didn't have to get involved even if my conscience desperately wanted me to.

It would be so much simpler if I had just walked out and pretended nothing had happened. Fortunately perhaps, I couldn't do that. My anxiety refused in such an adamant manner yet convinced me in the same manner to not see Dream.

My emotions were a mess and I myself was similarly, a mess. I wonder somewhere in my mind what Dream was doing right now.

Even though curiosity had killed the cat (though satisfaction did bring it back), I proceeded based on this complex emotion to try to see my rival again. I crept up the stairs, each creek annoyingly loud, but suddenly thankful for the rails I could clutch onto for reassurance as each step gave a painstaking headache. These 'headaches' would come on every now and again when I was nervous and right now, it was pounding.

I ventured down the dimly-lit hallway, passing by each room. In the darkness, I could tell that a few of the rooms had small, personalised signs on their doors.

There was one for the parents, a person called Lydia and at the end of the corridor, stood 'Clay's room'.

The name felt strange and unknown in my mouth as I tried uttering it. The school, myself included, had gotten so used to that nickname. Hell, even some of the teachers joined in on the fiasco.

The door was unlocked and as I took a step in, I found myself squinting to find Dream. He wasn't on the bed but on the... correction. In the corner.

He looked so terribly vulnerable; curled up in a ball, smothered by a soft blanket and the most peaceful expression I had ever witnessed.

My head said no, yet my heart said perhaps.

[1074 words]