The plan

CHAPTER 4 - THE PLAN.

I dropped a weird look and was wondering why he wanted to speak with me. So, maintaining the exact facial expression, I asked, “What is it? Why do you want to talk to me?”

Frederick looked back to see if anyone was entering the kitchen. After that, he returned his eyes to me and said, “I only wanted to say that I am very sorry for everything that happened. It wasn't meant to be like this but please, find a place in your heart to forgive me.”

Frederick’s heartfelt words had no effect on me. I had been his wife for too long to not know when he was trying to be sincere or not. And I could tell fake concern when I sensed it.

“Do I look stupid to you? Because if I did, I believe I would have been nodding my head foolishly to every word you said, stupidly believing you. So tell me, what exactly do you want?” I said as I frowned at him.

My distant attitude got him stuck between a rock and a hard place. He wore a sad smile and said to me, “I don't know how to put this, but i’ll say it anyhow. I want a divorce.”

“Divorce?” I stuttered, trying to compose myself.

“Yes, I want us to get a divorce. And please don't try to change my mind. The divorce papers have already been filed, and Mr. Khan will be coming over this morning. Please don't make this hard for me and you. When he comes, just sign the papers. It's for your own good.” He immediately turned his back and walked  away from the kitchen.

“He...wants a divorce?” I thought to myself.

I was shocked. It felt like my heart had been pulled out and broken again.

(Sobs softly.)

Rina walked in and saw me crying in the kitchen. She pinned a smile, moved closer and bent down to meet my teary glare.

“Oh! Wow, I’m sure Frederick has told you the news, right?” She mocked me.

Her words pushed me to the wall, and out of anger, I nudged and took hold of a knife placed on the kitchen table.

“Aww, Do you wish to kill me, Bestie?” She smirked.

“Oh yeah, you know what? I’d love to kill you, so leave me alone while I’m still being nice.” I warned and threw the knife away.

She got the message, and when I paid no attention to her, she turned to leave. Rina swiftly turned on the gas and smiled her way out of the kitchen.

I was just about to leave when she threw a lit matchstick into the kitchen, and it exploded.

Everywhere was on fire, raging unabated. Luckily I pulled back just in time to save my face from burning. I laid low under the kitchen cabinet to protect myself.

Everyone at home hurriedly ran to the kitchen and saw it in flames. Father screamed my name, but when he heard no response, he quivered in fear.

Somehow, Frederick sighted me. He instantly drew everyone's attention the second he dived into the fire to save me.

The atmosphere was tense. I was weak and almost passing out when I saw some strange people making efforts to put out the fire. Their efforts turned out to be fruitful.

Father poked his head further and saw that I was knocked out cold. Frederick carried me in his arms and gently laid me on the couch.

He ran upstairs into his room and phoned the doctor. Rina quietly watched and saw how concerned he was about me and wasn't pleased with it at all.

To her, she feared that Frederick might get carried away by my presence, so much that she wouldn't even matter to him anymore. The thought got her scared so she devised a way to channel his attention over to herself.

“Ouch!! Frederick!” Rina cried out.

As planned, Frederick forgot everything about me and went to her. She wrapped herself in his arms and faked being in pain.

“Baby!! Are you okay? Is our child okay?” He gently held her and set her down on the couch.

Frederick wanted to call the doctor when Rina told him not to. After a while, he left with her, leaving me all alone in the living room, two hours after the doctor left.

Father sat next to me in the living room, dipping a sad look, glaring at me.

I whirled and said, “Urgh! Why do you look sad? It's not as if I’m dying right?”

He tried to brighten up his face when a masculine voice asserted, “Hello my lovely family, Who missed me?”

Father and I veered and saw Chris, Frederick's younger brother, standing at the front door. He immediately ran over and hugged Father.

He looked down and found me weak. “Oh my goodness, Sister-in-law, are you okay? What happened?” He asked.

However, before I could get a chance to speak, Frederick took him away.

“Brother, you’re finally home!” Frederick rushed down, wearing a huge smile. I watched and saw how happy he was to see his brother.

Rina walked downstairs too. Chris turned his head and took notice of her. He repaid his eyes to his brother and was curious about who she was.

Frederick immediately choked on his words. As if that wasn't enough, Mr. Khan walked in on us seated in the living room.

“Good day Mr. Ricardo, you too, Mr. Frederick. The papers are finally here.”

I jerked up from the couch, about to say something when Father asked me not to speak. He looked at Frederick who had no clue what he meant, and had foolishly invited the lawyer, who arrived in the presence of Chris, who had no clue what was going on.

“Welcome, Mr Khan! May we please have the papers?” Frederick pulled out his hands.

Chris got curious and asked, “What papers? What's going on here? And who the heck is this lady standing before us?”

He waited for a response from us and got none. Father Immediately walked further and dragged him upstairs.

I had no idea what they spoke about, but I believed that the truth would be very well known in due time.