thirty

evelyn continued to smile at heeseung's statement and for some reason, tears begin to form in her eyes.

"i know that's sudden. i've never done this type of thing before so i don't really know what's happening, but .. i don't want to start anything right this second."

"my life's a complete mess and i don't think i've focused on learning how to love and take care of myself enough, so i couldn't possibly properly love you yet," heeseung spoke.

"i'm sorry."

seeing heeseung hang his head down low, evelyn parted her lips and sat up straight, turning her body to face heeseung.

"no no .. heeseung, why are you apologizing?" evelyn asked, lifting his head up.

"i don't want you to apologize. you shouldn't. you didn't do anything wrong. i'm so glad i'm able to impact your life like that and i'm so beyond happy to hear how much i mean to you, but no one is rushing you to do anything."

"there is no book that specifically tells you how you should live your life and how fast you should get things done. in fact, i am so glad you want to take time to focus on yourself."

"and your life? didn't i tell you that we'll get through it together? i know i have no right to get involved in your personal business, but you don't have to carry all that burden and stress alone. i promise i'll be right by your side through everything. we can worry about us later," evelyn smiled, holding his hand.

"believe me when i say i want you in my future too," evelyn chuckled, "more than anything."

"and besides .. you stole my first kiss. i'm not going to let you go that easily," she joked, making heeseung laugh.

"but why are you crying?" heeseung asked with a slight frown.

he brought his hands up to his face and wiped her eyes with his thumbs, bringing her into a hug.

"i didn't want to make you cry," heeseung spoke softly, "i'm sorry."

"stop apologizing," evelyn laughed, hugging heeseung back, "i'm just sensitive. that's all."

"well i see that," heeseung replied.

"but evelyn," he began, receiving a hum, "thank you so so much."

"of course," evelyn mumbled into his chest.

"now back to that uno game," heeseung spoke, "i am going to crush you."

"oh we'll see about that mister," evelyn chuckled.

almost an hour went by and heeseung and evelyn had played multiple games of uno while mina stayed in her room.

"plus 4, plus 2, plus 2, plus 2, and game over!" heeseung exclaimed, throwing his fists in the air.

evelyn remained starstruck, her jaw hanging low as she watched heeseung chuckle and crawl over to her.

he kneeled on the side of her and hugged her tightly, holding her head against his chest while he continued to chuckle in victory.

"oh you're making me feel bad for winning," heeseung chuckled.

"you should," evelyn whined, leaning into his chest.

"you gave me not one plus, not two, but FOUR," evelyn added, showing four fingers.

"well i did tell you i was going to crush you, didn't i?" heeseung smirked, making evelyn jokingly shove him a bit.

evelyn sighed, "okay okay. that was a good game."

"but i'm getting my victory next time," evelyn warned.

"oh we'll see about that," heeseung mocked evelyn's words from earlier.

"who won?" mina asked, leaning against the wall.

"heeseung," evelyn mumbled.

"so then heeseung's going to treat us to ice cream right?" mina persuaded.

"i am?" heeseung asked.

"well you did win .."

"but shouldn't evelyn treat us since she loss?" heeseung asked, looking at evelyn.

"okay okay it's my treat," evelyn sighed, "let's go."

heeseung chuckled and grabbed the car keys, leading the two out of his apartment.

once they arrived at the nearby ice cream shop, they took their orders and it was time to pay. however, when evelyn was about to swipe her card to pay, heeseung held evelyn's hand and swiped his card instead.

"you didn't think i was going to let you pay right?" heeseung smiled, "i got it."

"b-but i was supposed to pay for it," evelyn mumbled, looking into heeseung's eyes.

"do you want to pay for it that bad?" heeseung asked, receiving a nod from evelyn.

"okay. i'll let you pay the next time we go out," heeseung smiled, patting evelyn's hair as they walked to a table.

"that won't be happening, will it?" evelyn asked.

"never," heeseung replied, "maybe in your dreams."

"oh? there's something on your chin," heeseung spoke, taking his thumb to wipe it.

evelyn's eyes widened at the sudden contact and she wasn't paying enough attention to realize that heeseung had also taken a bite of her ice cream.

"mint chocolate?" heeseung questioned, "minty."