forty

"heeseung, i—"

heeseung gasped and turned around, covering his ears, "i don't want to hear you rejecting me. i won't let you."

evelyn smiled brightly at heeseung's words although he couldn't see her. she tapped his shoulder for him to turn around, but heeseung still covered his ears while turning around.

shocking heeseung, evelyn got on her tippy toes and attached her lips to heeseung's, placing her hands on his chest.

heeseung dropped his hands from his ears and brought them to evelyn's chin.

"i never said i was going to reject you," evelyn mumbled after the kiss, "i'd be absolutely insane if i did."

"i've grown to love you too much to reject you," she smiled.

heeseung brought his hands to cover his face in shyness, shaking his head cutely.

"what did i do to deserve you baby?" he cooed.

"hey—" evelyn stopped him, backing up, "i never said yes to being your girlfriend, so why are you calling me baby?"

"you called me baby first!" heeseung replied in defense.

"did not! i never—" evelyn paused and sighed, "i did, didn't i?"

"you sure did," heeseung smiled, hugging evelyn tightly.

"how are you so energetic and positive after all that happened in there?" evelyn asked with a slight pout.

"i picked it up from the best. a special someone once told me to look for the rainbow after the storm," heeseung winked.

*flashback*
the night when evelyn and heeseung were at the park together while it was raining, heeseung watched evelyn as she closed her eyes with her head tilted up and a smile on her face, spinning around and laughing.

"what?" she asked with a chuckle, realizing heeseung's stare.

"nothing."

"tell me."

"no."

"heeseung!" evelyn whined.

heeseung sighed, "why are you so happy? it's raining for goodness sake."

"why wouldn't you be happy? it's raining!" evelyn replied, "i love the rain because of the aftermath."

"rainbows," she began, "you have to always look past the storm, look past all your troubles and look forward to the aftermath, the rainbow."

"my mom always told me 'when it rains, look for the rainbow. when it's dark, look for the stars. just another way of saying look on the bright side of everything."

"you're never going to get anywhere if you keep holding grudges. you're never going to get anywhere if you try to live up to other's expectations. it's your life. don't look for the approval of others if it's YOUR life."

*end of flashback*

heeseung sighed, "this is not how it was supposed to be."

"what do you mean?" evelyn asked, lifting her head off of his chest and looking up.

"today was supposed to be a day for us to get closer and spend time together," heeseung explained.

"are we not spending time together?" evelyn questioned.

"we are .. but this isn't really ideal," heeseung sighed, "maybe the universe really is against us."

then suddenly, a soft ballad song began playing in the distance, but it was loud enough for heeseung and evelyn to hear.

"or not," heeseung spoke, "where is that coming from? do you hear that too?"

"no idea," evelyn shrugged.

"well ms. evelyn kim," heeseung smiled, "may i have this dance?"

he put his hand out and evelyn gladly took it. heeseung out both hands on her waist, while evelyn put her hands around his neck.

the two began slowly swaying together in silence, taking in the moment.

"you know .. you haven't answered my question," heeseung spoke.

"i don't quite recall what it was," evelyn joked.

heeseung sighed and playfully rolled his eyes.

"evelyn, will you be my girlfrie—"

evelyn cut off his words by attaching her lips to heeseung's and backed up a big to see heeseung's face.

"does that answer your question?"

heeseung cutely smiled and nodded, holding evelyn's hand and twirling her around as she smiled.

"did i tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" heeseung asked.

"yes you did," evelyn chuckled.

"just in case you didn't soak in my sweet words," heeseung joked, "you truly look like a princess. the prettiest, kindest, most perfect princess ever in my eyes."

"you're making me shy," evelyn spoke, looking away, "stop it."

heeseung chuckled and pulled evelyn into a hug.

"you look just as perfect .. like always," evelyn spoke.

"you're making me shy. stop it," heeseung mocked with a chuckle.

after everything, they loved each other, and that's the beginning and ending of everything.