thirty-four

after the short make-up, the four decided to go out for fresh air.

mina and heeseung went to go buy ice cream at the near convenient store, leaving evelyn and hyunmin strolling around.

"thank you," evelyn suddenly spoke, "for setting aside your feelings for us and—"

"i only did it for you," hyunmin interrupted, "it seems like friendship is really important to you."

"of course friendship is important to me. especially ours," evelyn genuinely spoke, "but do you mind me asking .. what do you see in me?"

"i must mean something to you for you to like me and care for me so much," she added.

hyunmin stayed silent for a good bit before taking a breath.

"what is there to not like about you?" he asked, looking into evelyn's eyes.

"i would've never imagined that i'd ever like you. you were always a strangely overprotective sister to me," hyunmin chuckled, "but that night our families went to dinner together for the first time in years .. everything came back."

"it's like after all that time without you by my side, a part of me was missing. but when you came back, life got so much brighter .. and then i realized we weren't ever going back to what we used to be," he spoke.

"heeseung came and i wasn't the only boy in your life anymore. i know it sounds selfish. and i remember how you used to always complain about boys and love when we were young, saying it was confusing and weird."

"oh please don't remind me," evelyn groaned, making hyunmin smile to himself.

"but now it's like you're finding love, while i'm finding it confusing and weird that i may be falling in love," hyunmin continued, "i don't exactly know why or how or when i began liking you. i don't even know if what i feel is a feeling of love. the thought of it always—"

hyunmin's words were cut off by evelyn.

she kissed him.

evelyn acted on her gut instinct and brought her lips to hyunmin's, standing on her tippy toes while her hands were intertwined around his neck.

it all happened so fast and in a matter of seconds, evelyn let go and backed up, looking into hyunmin's eyes that displayed shock.

"ev—" hyunmin began.

"what did you feel?" evelyn asked, "did you feel anything from that?"

"i— i don't know .. did i?" he asked more towards himself, "not .. really."

"not really right?" evelyn questioned, "you didn't feel anything right?"

"not much," hyunmin nodded.

"then i don't think it's love," evelyn spoke.

hyunmin continued to display a puzzled look which spiked a slight smile on evelyn's face.

"i can't speak for your feelings because it's YOUR feelings, but .. if you truly liked me, you would've felt something. but you didn't .."

"i-is that bad?" hyunmin asked.

"no not really," evelyn chuckled, "isn't it more of a good thing that you might not truly like me? that means that our friendship won't be affected and .. if one of us finds love, we'd be happy for one another .. right?"

hyunmin only responded with a slight nod.

evelyn brought her hands up to his shoulders and said, "you have all the time in the world to figure out your feelings, but promise me you won't let them take over your mind and let them get in the way of our friendship okay?"

"pinky promise?" evelyn asked, holding out her pinky.

hyunmin playfully rolled his eyes and smiled, "fine."

as soon as they locked pinkies, evelyn hit hyunmin's arm, "you just pinky promised, so why didn't you pinky promise earlier? tch."

the two began talking once again, looking around for heeseung and mina.

as soon as the two turned their heads, they received a view that may have broken evelyn more than it should've.

hyunmin saw the scene and immediately turned to stand in front of evelyn, covering her sight.

they were kissing .. mina and heeseung.

*heeseung's pov*

"enjoy the ice cream and have a good night!" the employee greeted mina and i.

"thank you," mina smiled, "you too!"

after purchasing four ice creams, we exited the convenient store and spotted hyunmin and evelyn far ahead.

"come on, quick! let's catch up to them before the ice cream melts," mina spoke, dragging heeseung's arm.

"evelyn!" mina exclaimed.

no response.

"hyunmin!" mina exclaimed.

no response.

"geez. what are they talking about for them to not hear me?" mina asked.

only then did we see evelyn stop and turn to face hyunmin. she stood up on her tippy toes and brought herself closer towards hyunmin, their lips attaching.

trying to save heeseung from the sight, mina immediately jumped in front of him and shocked both herself and heeseung by kissing him.

she kissed him in hopes that he wouldn't see evelyn and hyunmin kissing, but it was too late and it only caused a mess.