Chapter 16: The Return of the Angels

Recap chap 15:

“I care about you cheri, and I won’t let you die.” He said, before his lips pressed against mine.

****************************************************************************

Chapter 16: The Return of the Angels

His lips were soft and gentle, like nothing I had ever experienced before. The way they moved with mine was like they were made to fit together. His kiss was calm and serene, yet filled with something more, something like passion and desire. I felt the urgency in his lips as they softly stroked mine, the way his tongue pressed against my lips begging to be let in.

I opened my mouth to feel his tongue as it twisted up with mine. There was nothing I wanted more in that moment, than for the feeling I received from his touch, his lips to have lasted forever. My body was warm and the necklace’s stone burned hotter against my skin. I felt the tingle, the electrified sensation that rushed through me just before he pulled his mouth away.

 Max made me feel like I was worth something, like for once I deserved more than I had ever gotten in my life. I almost felt like I was worthy of him, not quite, but almost. I hungered for the feel of his lips after they parted from mine and mourned the loss of their touch.

I didn’t know what to make of this situation. I had never felt this way after Chester kissed me. I never liked it and I never wanted more. I had no desire to be closer to Ches, but I wanted to be closer to Max more than anything. Why did I have these feelings and why did I want to kiss him again? More than that, why was my stone on fire? Perhaps there was more truth to this connection myth than even he realized.

I stared into his deep lapis eyes, not knowing what to say or how to act. He pressed his forehead to mine, not moving or speaking, only breathing deep quiet breaths. It was like he was calming himself down, trying to regain some control over himself. Maybe he was trying to figure out what the hell just happened, just like I was.

It isn’t that I didn’t enjoy it, because it was the best kiss I ever had. It was just that I knew it could and never would happen again. I wasn’t worth caring about and I would soon be dead. As soon as Chester got out of the hospital, I would have no choice but to go back to him, and I planned to kill myself more successfully this time as soon as that happened.

Besides that, Gabe and Max would be in danger if I didn’t return to my houses of hell and horrors. I couldn’t let that happen, not after all they had done for me. I wouldn’t let them die. I would rather die myself than loose more people who meant something to me. The thought of Max meeting a terrible end tore me up inside. I didn’t understand why I felt that way, but I just did.

Maxim pressed his lips gently to my forehead and mumbled something incoherently. I didn’t try to figure out what that something was, I was too scared of what he may have said.

“I should go. Gabe will be home soon and will be looking for an update on your progress. Get some rest and I’ll see you later okay cheri?” Max said and left me to my thoughts.

I settled more comfortably in bed, feeling relaxed and somewhat at peace for the first time in a very long time. All of my thoughts were on Max and Gabe. Why did they care so much? What was in it for them? There had to be more to it than pity and charity. But the reasons for their generosity escaped me. I would have to ask Max about this.

We had gotten closer after I confessed my sins to him, well, not mine but Chester’s and my dad’s. The way he reacted took me completely by surprise. I had expected anger, which I’m sure on some level he had and hid from me. But I never expected him to be almost proud of me for surviving, continuing to live through so much shit and still coming out on the other side.