Part Forty Two

The Bouchard Wedding
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Harley Finley

The wedding was beautiful. The array of roses and tulips that lined every inch of the room, it transported me into another world.

I closed my eyes, just smelling the scent of freshly cut stems that seemed to fill the air just with me standing still. Calmness, for the first time in months had engulfed me, even with the music beaming from the speakers, I couldn't feel better.

No matter what was happening in the world, it felt like it was beginning to turn around.

Colten and I were going to run away together.

A modern day Romeo and Juliet.

But hopefully a better ending.

Just him and I. No death. We already had a close scare, I couldn't imagine having another one.

And we couldn't have done it without the financial assistance of Ellie and Maddox Bouchard. The happily married tattooist and Doctor who threw the most beautiful and elegant wedding I had ever been too.

It was small, only about seventy five people in total from both sides and Ellie, she looked beautiful in her strapless lace dress that reached just above the ground, enough to make it look like she was floating while they had their first dance.

I watched as Maddox guided her to the dance floor, smiling to her as if she were his entire world and I could have sworn I saw a tear drop from her eye, only to be quickly wiped away by him.

I felt my own emotions getting the best of me as I hid in my own little corner I had claimed as mine.

They were the sweetest couple, even offering Colten and I to join in the loving festivities as a thank you for being the last minute cook.

I couldn't turn them down.

Not when they used their adorable one year old daughter, Rose, against me.

As soon as those little hazel eyes met mine, I said yes. Without hesitation.

I blinked a few times, looking to the bright lights above to try and clear my glossy eyes. Then a waiter passed by, offering me a glass of champagne with a bright smile.

"Oh, no thank you. I don't drink and work." I smiled back.

"These are non alcoholic. The bride gave me strict instructions to not get the mother in law drunk." He smiled when I took the drink from him then quickly scurried off after I thanked him.

I held my stomach gently, holding the slim glass in my hand as I rocked to the slow music, putting myself into a different world.

That is, until Colten came rushing up to me, snatching my glass from my hands and whipping my body around to face him.

It scared me the way his eyes glanced me over, looking as if he had seen a ghost. He quickly placed his lips to mine, gripping my back as he kept meshing our lips together. I lost my balance, clinging to his dress shirt with my fingers digging into the material to keep myself upright with the sudden onslaught of butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"What's wrong?" I murmured against his lips when he pulled away.

"No more drinking." He demanded, shotting the little liquid left in my cup. His face turned into a scowl, his eyebrows creased down and his lips pursed. "What is this?"

"I believe seltzer." I raised my brows to him, completely stunned by his sudden change in demeanor from when we first arrived.

His face slightly relaxed before setting the glass down to the table. He adjusted his clothing, tugging at the tie I laced for him that he now deemed too tight.