Chapter 17 - An Old Friend | Changed

Kaz stares at the woman in shock. Amy, someone Kaz knew, looks away, avoiding eye contact with the walking apocalypse.

"Amy." He called out again, "Is that you?"

She slowly turns her head. As she looks, tears formed in her eyes.

Noticing her state, Kaz tried to quickly comfort her. However, thorny vines prevented him from getting closer.

"Stop!" Her sudden outburst shocked him, "I don't want to hurt you!" The vines started to grow further.

Kaz jumps out of the way to not get caught by it, "Let me help you!" He tried to call out. His voice became desperate.

Tears started to flow more, "Don't come closer." The vines went towards Kaz.

After landing, he created a barrier around himself. He turned to Cindy, "Why were you hiding this from me?!" She flinches. Kaz, noticing that she didn't answer, clicked his tongue, "So be it."

Kaz lifted off the barrier. Amy shouted, "What are you doing?!" More tears started to fall, "You'll get hurt!"

The vines wrap themselves around Kaz. However, it suddenly disappears when his aura flares.

His gaze was nothing but a neutral look. He slowly walks toward Amy.

"After all this time, you were hurting." The vines tried to reach Kaz but, it disappeared before it does, "While I was here, trying to find something to entertain myself."

Once he reaches Amy, he lifted his hand. A warm green glow emits from it.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." She looks up at him. Tears fell from her eyes, "Will you forgive me?"

The vines surrounding them disappear. Amy's eyes watered, "I..." She paused for a second before hugging him tightly, "I forgive you."

Kaz smiles. His eyes turned back to normal. He turned towards the idols before looking at Jhon.

"Can I have a word with you, Jhon?" He tilted his head before nodding.

Both of them walk a few feet away from the others. When they were far enough, Kaz started.

"Jhon, do you know about the fragments of light?" He paused, thinking for a moment.

"I don't think I've heard of them, no." John replied, "Is there a problem?" He asked, concerned.

Kaz looks at the giant portal, "No, but I feel like some of them are coming to this land." Suddenly, a gust of wind flew past them.

John turned to see the portal shrinking but, it wasn't disappearing.

"Someone's coming." Kaz turned to the others, "Everyone, stay back!"

Before he could react, a fist was already making it's toward his face. However, he tilted to the side to dodge it in time, "Oh? You dodge that?"

Kaz grabs the arm, his eyes turning radiant purple, "I guess there's one more to deal with." He twisted his body, throwing the person away.