𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭 (𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏)

Funeral Home | Tue 12:45 PM
Will Byers

Ever since Joyce told him about his fathers fate, everything had happened so fast. There were a lot of blackouts in between where he couldn't even remember waking up. And then more prominent moments in his memory like sobbing for hours on end, doing the things that used to comfort him before the others were there. Before they became his crutches.

He couldn't get himself to leave the bathroom, fumbling around his soggy flash cards and stumbling when trying to recite the words. Will wasn't comfortable with saying a heartfelt goodbye for obvious reasons. So trying to memorize a fake one seemed like the only option...at first.

"A-And h-h-he would always—" the boys voice shook, before being interrupted by the knock! knock! of somebody at the door.

"Will? You almost done in there?"

It was Mike, his voice muffled from behind the door. He wasn't almost done. He would never be prepared to handle this day, and would probably just be a sobbing mess the whole time.

"Yeah, just one more minute!" He called back.

Will, let me help.

"Jacob?" Will asked, not being able to distinguish the voice, since it's tone morphed into both of them. Sounding like himself.

No. Trice. I can do it, I don't even need the cards.

"What are you gonna say?"

The truth.

"Will!" He was called again, this time by his mother. "It's about to start!"

"Ok...do it." Will adjusted himself against the wall, bracing for the wave of pain in his head whenever they switched places. It felt worse abrupt, so this time the feeling was quick. And it felt right too, this being their purpose all along.

Within seconds, he was in a different world, dissociating with reality. Sinking into a comfortable place where he could relax for a while, maybe even sleep lime bed assumed Jacob was doing right now, as they were extremely quiet next to him.

Thank you.

Will's voice echoed up to Trice's ear, a nice change from hearing him in front. Now controlling his body, they flexed their fingers to remember the motions and walked slowly over to the door. Thankfully, there was a handle rather than a knob, so all they had to do yank it open. Trice always struggled with joints and mobility, tensing up because of how unnatural it all felt. Out in the hall, they followed the crowd to a row of seats, finding Mike and the rest of Will's family up front.

"You ok?" Mike asked when they took a seat, entangling their fingers together. Trice just nodded, realizing that he should probably try and act just a little sad. There were some people in there that were hysterical and them now being a he and also Will meaning that he should probably be even more devastated.

But they couldn't bring themselves, not after having to protect Will from Lonnie so many times. Or watching him get beat up and not being able to do anything because they didn't know how and neither did Jacob.

And yet Trice wasn't satisfied that he wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Suddenly, they felt someone's eyes piercing them in the neck. They wrapped their head around, Mike following, and sitting a couple rows behind them was someone neither of them ever though they'd see again. Troy. And his dad.