Phone Call (11.5)

Halo had woken up hearing Skeppy's now familiar alarm buzz and the previous night came flooding back. He had been absolutely exhausted and basically just passed out on the couch, in which his magic must've finally crumbled and he had fallen asleep in his true form. When he had realized he wasn't able to keep up any other appearance he resorted to hiding.

That was something he couldn't possibly mess up at least. He kept himself hidden in the dark areas unlit from the overhead lights, his darkened form blending and fading into the shadows.

"I'm heading to School Bad! Do you need anything?"

He hadn't realized how close he'd been when he had answered his human companion and almost immediately felt guilty upon seeing him jump and put a hand to his chest.

Fear.

It was a bitter and intense smell, bitter and chalky like acid on the nose or something, and it was one he hated. He hated being near it, smelling it, and especially, especially causing it.

Skeppy had ended their conversation on a much lighter note, leaving Halo feeling warm and fuzzy as he parted. He adored when Skeppy would start their hugs, it made his chest flutter at the small act of affection. He finally sighed and closed the apartment door was he walked back in and noticed Skeppy's strange device was set on the table. He casually walked over and picked it up, turning it over a few times in his hands.

Skeppy must've left his fone.

He was about you run after his buddy when the screen illuminated with a set of numbers, and the box began vibrating in his hands. A name as well saying Pappy. Panicked he tried to ignore the call and set it back down, instead he accidentally clicked the 'answer' button and not the  'ignore'.

"Hey Zak buddy! Just calling to check in on our birthday boy!" An older sounding man spoke cheerfully from inside of the device.

Halo hesitated, uncertain what he was supposed to do or say since Skeppy hasn't exactly taught him phone educate. But 'Pappy' answered for him.

"Hello? Zak? Are you there? … maybe he butt answered." Pappy seemed to say to nobody in particular.

Finally he gathered every bit of courage he had, (which wasn't a lot) he mumbled, "Skeppy's not here, he left his fone at home."

"What? Can you say that again?"

"Skeppy's not here, he left... He left his fone at home" he spoke louder this time and more clearly but still nervous.

"Oh then who's… wait?" The man trailed off quietly for several minutes. "No..."

The silence was becoming almost unbearable.

Pappy sounded so surprised, "Halo is that you?