The Truth

A few weeks later I woke up in the hospital. I was able to get up and move my arms and legs just fine. Looking around the room I spotted my phone on the table next to the hospital bed. I picked up my phone and turned it on and decided to call Rip. I failed his number and the phone rang.

Dante~ Please pick up Rip.

*Over the phone*

Rip~ Look if this is another prank when you claim to be my best bud end the call now or I'm calling the cops.

Dante~ No Rip it's me this time!

Rip~ Wait Dante!? You're awake! This is awesome look Dante don't go anywhere I'll be at your room I'm on the first floor.

Dante~ Ok I'll just chill here.

The phone call ended and I got back into bed waiting on my friend to get here. Minutes later a Nurse walked in the room.

Nurse lilly~ Hello I'm Nurse Lilly but you can call me Lilly if you want. Anyway you must be Donny Dante Morris am I right?

Dante~ Yeah I'm Donny but you can call me Dante.

Nurse lilly~ Okie dokie then so do you remember why you're in here?

Dante~ Actually I don't remember. Can you tell me what happened?

Three seconds after my question was asked Rip walked into the room with Twilight.

Rip~ Dante! You're awake!

Twilight~ Thank heavens you're ok Dante everyone thought you were dead for a few weeks until we were all informed that you were gonna be ok.

Nurse Lilly~ Can the two of you tell him what happened?

Rip~ Ok Dante don't freak out... but we think you discovered one of your hidden abilities.

Dante~ You're kidding…

Twilight~ No... we aren't Dante Rip helped me do research on what happened and we think we know what you are.

Dante~ It's amazing that you guys were willing to find out what happened but you aren't actually telling me what happened.

Rip~ Flash provoked you to the point where you snapped.

Twilight~ You're energy was sinister piercing through us like bullets from a gun. You were uncontrollable, it was to the point where the school was gonna put you in isolated learning away from all the other students.

Rip~ We practically begged them not to isolate you from us. Luckily they took pity on us so they decided to let you have a normal learning environment.

Dante~ Guys… what am I exactly…?

Twilight~ They call people like you the Night Owls.

Dante~ How many of them are enrolled in the school?

Rip~ The thing is Night Owls are beyond rare. The only way you can be a night owl is from the birth of another night owl which means…

Dante~ Mom…I need to talk to my mom about this as soon as possible.

Rip~ We there isn't really a need for that.

Dante~ Why?

Twilight~ Because she's outside the room… and she already wants to talk to you.

Dante~ Mom…

I saw my mom walk in the room with a sad look on her face. I knew that she knew what happened and she knew that I knew. My friends decided to give both me and my mom some time to talk alone so they left the room. My mom sat down next to me practically crying. It was hard for her to look me in the eyes. I got out of bed and gave her the biggest hug I ever gave her in my life.

Rose~ I'm so sorry… I didn't expect this to happen to you…

Dante~ Mom it's ok I forgive you but there is something I want to ask you.

Rose~ You want to know what happened to you…

Dante~ Yeah… I feel like I need to know at this point.

Rose~ Well  as you know you're a night owl just like me. Night Owls are practically almost extinct, our people are dying out Dante…

Dante~ Why…?

Rose~ There's something inside us that they want so they can make an army of night owls by cloning them. Although it sounds like an ok idea until we found out that they won't be used to protect us but to kill us… They want the blood that's in you Dante and nothing will stop them from doing what they want to do to get it.

Dante~ What is it that they want to accomplish by killing innocent others?

Rose~ They want us eliminated because we can do practically everything the others can do. We have the abilities of many others. Flying, Super speed, Transformation, you name it. They want to kill us so their army can be the super heros not us they don't want us to shine. All they want is to see us dead.

Dante~ Is that why they were gonna isolate me…? Just to kill me…

Rose~ That would most likely be the reason why. Dante, all I can tell you is choose your friends wisely from here on out and don't tell anyone about your power.

Dante~ Ok mom I promise you I will.

Rose~ Now to tell you what happened that day. When they told me someone provoked you that's when I knew what happened. Your power is strongest when they are activated from your emotions. I was supposed to help you unlock it little by little but I just thought that you're a strong person and nothing would happen. It turns out I should have done what it is I was supposed to do… This was the first time your power was unlocked and it spiralled out of control because it was tied to your emotions at the time. You can build up energy and get stronger as the years go by Dante. And that's why they want us killed cuz if they get our blood then the night owl race will be completely wiped out.

Dante~ Mom… I have one more question… is that why I haven't seen dad since I was a toddler…?

Rose~ Yes they killed him… he's been dead every. Since you were only two.

I froze and looked down at my hands ready to cry. I started to hate the government. I wanted to kill whoever it was that killed my dad… I wanted to demolish the man or woman as revenge for killing my dad.

Rose~ Dante…?

Dante~ All my life I've been on the run it's just nobody knew who I actually was...

Rose~ Look Dante, one day we can show them that we are innocent people and that there is no need to kill us.

Dante~ Hopefully. Hey can we go home?

Rose~ Of course my grape haired apple fritter.

Rip~ *Chuckles*

Twilight~ Rip shut up.

Rose~ *lightly laughs* I guess we had some eavesdroppers and Dante make sure you don't lose the friends you have already.

Dante~ No problem mom.

Nurse Lilly walked in the room letting us know that I was completely stable and ready to go back home and attend school. After that we all checked me out of the hospital and left. Rip and Twilight were picked up by their parents waiting outside the hospital.

Rip~ Hey I'll call you guys later see ya.

Twilight~ Same I'll talk to you two later.

We waved to each other and said our goodbyes before they left. My mom and I got in the car and headed home. When we arrived home we saw a man on the ground in front of our door.

Rose~ is he ok?

Dante~ He's in front of our door so we got to see what up with him.

Rose~ you're right about that come on Dante.

We got out of the car and walked up on the man. My mom's eyes went wide for a minute. I looked at her in utter confusion.

Dante~ Mom what's going on who is this?

Rose~ Dante… is that you…?

Dante~ Wait but Dante is my middle name… mom is that… dad…?