Chapter 17

Nari || Wednesday, June 17

The awkward and silent atmosphere makes me all the more uncomfortable as I fiddle with my fingers and steal glances at Jungkook, who's sitting opposite me. We were discharged this morning, and Lisa and Jimin had something important to tell us, so the four of us are now sitting by the dining table of my home.

Jungkook avoids my gaze whenever I turn my face to him. The anger I have for him has faded away, and now I just feel sad and empty. I feel as if I've lost him, and he feels so far away. I don't know what's on his mind right now; his facial expression is blank as he stares off into space. He's gazing at the wall filled with photos beside the table.

I wish things could go back to the way they were before. I wish I never confessed to him, then maybe his feelings wouldn't be so messy right now and I wouldn't get hurt. I wish I wasn't so stupid to believe that he had already moved on from my sister after only a couple days. I wish my sister was here. I miss the days when we were kids and we were happy together as friends. I miss the past that I can never get back to.

I stare at Jungkook's face, his features all so familiar to me, but at the same time so unfamiliar and so distant. I want to reach out to stroke his soft cheeks and feel his warmth, but I can't do that. He looks so cold right now, someone who won't be able to bring me the warmth and comfort I long for.

The thoughts vanish and my heart skips a beat as soon as Jungkook turns his head towards my direction and our eyes lock. Heat immediately rushes to my cheeks and my heartbeat seems to quicken when he stares at me; it's as if he's looking straight through my soul. My heart drops when he looks away, expressionless. How can he be so bipolar? He seemed so upset and guilty yesterday, but now he just looks so cold and emotionless; his blank expression almost breaks me, until I remember that I'm still upset with him. I cannot spot the sweet and loving guy that he always was anymore.

Jimin suddenly clears his throat and decides to break the silence that seemed to have dragged on forever, but in reality, it had only been about a minute or two since we arrived here. We all turn to look at him. He straightens his back and places his hands on the table; his expression a little earnest as he looks at us.

"I uhh... I..." Jimin starts to say hesitantly and his cheeks begin to flush under our intense gaze as we patiently wait for him to complete a full sentence. "Well... first of all..."

"How about I tell them," Lisa interjects and saves Jimin from anymore awkwardness.

Jimin's tough and intimidating appearance doesn't match his shy and cute attitude at all when he lets out a sigh of relief as he sinks back unto his chair and places his hands back on his lap.

"There's so much to say, but I guess I'll just start with who we are," Lisa starts to say and heaves in a deep breath. "Jimin and I work for boss Suga, have you two heard of him?"

Jungkook and I both nod, so Lisa continues to say, "He sells illegal weapons to people. Jimin and I are some of the ones who deliver the weapons to those people. The boss calls those people 'clients'. Your sister and her friend were like us. The only difference was boss never told them what was inside the black bags we were given to deliver to his clients, only Jimin and I knew illegal weapons were inside. I guess boss didn't want them to join in the gang like Jimin and I."

"You two are part of the gang?" I ask with slight terror in my voice.

What if the boss sent them over to talk to us, and their kindness is just an act to make us fall into a trap and they end up mercilessly killing us. What did we do that lead to this? My entire body tenses at the thought of Lisa and Jimin staring at our dead bodies with stone-cold eyes. They have been so helpful and nice to us, they don't seem like they would kill us. Yet, I don't even know them; they're just strangers, so how can I be so sure they're not going to shoot us right in the forehead right now? I shouldn't have let them into the house.