Chapter 38: Glass Coffin

The King dropped the spell, and I stood in the burnt ruins of a village that was never real. The tears had stopped their fall and I could only feel emptiness as I tried to understand my emotions. 

Confusion, happiness, anger, and guilt hit me like a flood but at least I knew now.

My Father is alive. 

I felt a tender hand place itself on my shoulder successfully drawing me away from my thoughts. he stood beside me, waiting for what I had to say. It's funny, what had to be an hour ago, I was relishing in the fact I hated him for what he had done. Now I didn't know what to think. To believe Aerolena's theory was correct, that he was trying to protect me. It's crazy, how can something birth from darkness try to protect anything. 

The darkness feels greed and obsession, it is willing to do anything to protect what is it cherishes.

I was startled by the voice, but once I realize it was not from the man standing beside me, I came to the realization Riau had awoken. The happiness I feel from his usual awakening was dimmed by what he had said. Are those His true feelings?

"We will go now, I'm sure you still have questions." 

His hand, on my shoulder, gave me a gentle squeeze giving me the only warning as the ruined village was gone. For a moment the only thing I saw was white before my vision was filled with the garden I had awoken to. My Mother, as strange as it was to say that about a seemingly little girl, stood in the middle of the colorful meadow. She was looking down towards the pond staring at the rippling water and plant life that drift within. After a moment she looked towards us and gave us a warm smile before it vanished upon looking at me closer. 

Her mouth went into a thin line and she placed her hands behind her back as she began the small trek towards us. The plants bend to her will moving away before she was able to trample over them with her bare feet. Something I am sure she was doing without intending to. Once she got towards me she wordlessly removed her hands from behind her back and wrapped them around my waist as much as she could, hugging me as tight as possible. 

"I'm sorry you had to learn the truth like this, I knew if we tried to explain it you wouldn't believe us. We will get him back."

I gave her as best of a hug as I could, considering her height compared to my own. She did seem to grow since the last I saw her.

"How did you know what had happened?"

She released me and pulled away until she could look up and see my face. Hazel eyes that held too much wisdom studied me. 

"He told me what happened when the village was found." 

I looked at her. "That doesn't make sense, you didn't remember getting in this garden when we met."

She nodded her head, "I know this. It was because you held a piece of me with you and didn't get it back until you were near me. I gave you this piece to protect you until you were ready to be given the truth."

I almost disagreed then Raiu spoke,

The woman on the bench.

Memories of the time when I had consumed energy for the first time, and Raiu had awakened came flooding to me. I remembered the woman on the bench, and how she helped me control the new power I weld. 

"How did you give it to me?" 

She smiled, "Ever heard of a guardian angel. Well, we can't be everywhere at once but we do have the ability to give our chosen person a piece of us to keep them safe. Using the spell and your name, I had given this piece to you when I discovered what had happened to the village. However, I'm not actually an angel anymore so it took almost my whole being to ensure you were alright. That's why when you came near me, I was still slowly putting myself back together."