Chapter 32

"You look good Jules," Jay said as he drove Julie to Eat & Beats.

"Thanks," Julie said, a wide smile on her face. "It's my mom's."

Jay glanced at her, shooting her a quick smile before returning his eyes to the road.

"Finally went through that trunk?" Jay asked, referring to the trunk in Julie's room that was filled with Rose's old things.

"Yeah," Julie nodded. "I don't know what it was, but something about this just felt...it felt right."

"It should," Jay said gently, turning to park on the side of the road. "It was Rose's. Now it's yours."

There was a moment of silence as the two of them unbuckled their seatbelts and stepped out of the car.

"You look really nice too," Julie said as Jay grabbed his gig bag from where it sat on the backseat. "It's been a long time since I've seen you this...confident."

"Yeah," Jay said, closing the back door and locking the car. "It just felt right."

Jay smirked at Julie, having stolen her words.

"You sure it's not for a certain ghost boy?" Julie asked while the two of them walked into the cafe.

"No, it's not just for them," Jay rolled his eyes. "It's for me. I feel...good."

It was the truth. When Jay saw himself in the mirror, he really that it was him staring back. It was by far the most vibrant outfit he had worn recently, within the past few years. He felt genuine, comfortable, confident.

"Are we too late?" Julie asked Flynn as they approached her.

"Too early," Flynn said, turning to the stage.

"Take a look at that," Jay said, his eyes on the stage where Carrie, in her pink wig and matching outfit, stood confidently.

"Hope you all came to have a great time," she said to the audience. As they cheered, Carrie put on her sunglasses and walked upstage, her back to everyone.

"Dirty Candy?" Julie asked in surprise. "How'd she get on the list?"

"Her daddy probably made a call," Flynn said bitterly.

"Hey," Jay reprimanded quickly. "I get that you guys have history, but you have to admit that they're pretty good."

Flynn rolled her eyes and Julie gave a simple look at him.

"I like this," Flynn said, gesturing to Julie's outfit. "Pretty flower."

"Thanks," Julie smiled. "It's a dahlia. My mom's favorite."

Flynn gave Julie and gentle smile and Jay did too, but it went unnoticed by the girls. The three of them turned to the stage as Dirty Candy began their performance.

Jay understood the hostility between Julie and Flynn and the girls of Dirty Candy, especially after Julie and Carrie had their falling out. But he never had any problems with her, even if her overconfident front ended up making her a Sharpay Evans type student. She was talented and hardworking, that was something he couldn't refute. And Jay could appreciate that.

"Hey boys," Jay said when he heard the sound of them warping in. He didn't turn to greet them but could tell they were there. Luke and Reggie were right behind him while Alex stood next to him, the blonde's eyes fixed onto the performance.

"Whenever I walk in the room
All the focus on me," Carrie began singing as the girls of Dirty Candy appeared on stage.

"The way I talk the way I move
They all want on my team"