a tranquil night (wangxian) PT. 1

This is set after episode 50, but I changed it so that they actually separated at the end of that episode.

It was a cold night. Wangji and Wei Ying had separated for a while, but neither of them could stand it for too long. Wei Ying had walked his way back to Cloud Recesses after not seeing his Hanguang-Jun for two long weeks. 

He pulled Chenqing from the small latch around his belt and played their song. Only Lan Zhan and him knew of the song, and it had been that way for a long time. He played it while he stood in front of the entrance. Although the GusuLan Sect had a very strict rule of their curfew, Wangji had broken it many times for Wei Ying. Lan Zhan was always willing to break rules for him.

Soon, Wei Ying heard the gentle footsteps of a familiar person walking towards him. He lowered his black flute, putting it back into the latch of his belt. He smiled, seeing the face he missed so dearly. He ran blindly to the boy in front of him, completely forgetting about the boundary around Cloud Recesses. His head knocked into it, and he massaged his forehead in the small pain. 

"Lan Zhan," He spoke, watching as the older dispelled the barrier and quickly resealed it once he was outside. He turned around letting out a small smile. He walked towards him, Bichen immediately put to his side. His feet landed only a foot away from Wei Ying's. 

"Wei Ying," He said back, his voice warm and loving. It made Wei Ying's heart jump and race, his face now a soft shade of pink. 

"You've always broken your Lan Clan's rules ever since I came back..." He chuckled a bit, "It's quite flattering."

Lan Zhan didn't care for his rules at that moment. The two weeks alone had been insufferable. He was bored out of his mind, correcting pages upon pages of the juniors' work and copying the Clan's rules like he always had. Although this was relatively normal for him, Wei Ying coming back had tainted his calm state of mind. But, he didn't care that much. 

Lan Zhan lost all thoughts inside his head and reached out to Wei Ying. His hands pulling up his collar and brushing off the dust on his shoulders, he smiled.

"You haven't been taking care of yourself as well," He said, his eyes staring back up at Wei Ying's eyes. Wei Ying smiled back, feeling cared for again.

"It's hard when my Hanguang-Jun isn't beside me," He said placing his hands on Lan Zhan's shoulders and putting his face closer to him. Wangji didn't mind him being so affectionate in public. No one was around. The entire GusuLan Sect was asleep, and no one came to Cloud Recesses at night, knowing that they weren't let in past 7:00 pm. 

"Lan Zhan," Wei Ying spoke, grabbing the attention of the boy, "Can I hug you?"

He had asked with caution, aware that if they were caught, they would be punished by Lan Qiren. Even the thought of it was terrible. 

Lan Zhan pulled the boy into a hug, feeling arms wrap warmly around his body, "No one is around. It's alright."

Wei Ying giggled and hugged him comfortably.