a tranquil night (wangxian) PT. 2

The small group of juniors, Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, and Ouyang Zizhen stood outside the gates of Cloud Recesses, panicking their lives away. The GusuLan Sect had a strict rule that stated, "You have to be inside the gates before 7:00 pm if you want to enter."

Of course, for the stickler Lan Sizhui, this was a problem. His reputation had seldom been tainted, for his linguistics and knowledge of the clan's teaches was far beyond a standard disciple's comprehension. Having been personally taught by Hanguang-Jun himself, he had always tried to live up to expectations. When he broke a rule, it was never out of his will. And, he accepted whatever punishment would come for him.

"What do we do? What do we do?" Jingyi spoke in a rushed manner, pacing quickly back and forth on the street before the entrance to Cloud Recess.

"J-Jingyi... Calm down," Sizhui tried his best to calm the boy, knowing that if he were to keep panicking, someone would come down and realize what happened. 

Hearing a pure flute noise, they all hid behind a large rock. Their eyes peeking mischievously onto the sound, they saw their Senior Wei. His eyes were closed comfortably, his fingers moving delicately to the soft-yet-piercing flute noise. The juniors were surprised to see a familiar figure in white, moving towards the flute player.

"Lan Zhan!" They heard the playful voice of their Senior, and the small giggle afterward.

"Wei Ying..." The deep, soothing, voice of Lan Wangji could be recognized by any GusuLan disciple. They all stared at the scene before them, witnessing as the two softly stared.

Wangji walked up to the younger, brushing off his shoulders, neating his collar, "You haven't been taking care of yourself as well."

Wei Ying smirked as he put his hand on Lan Zhan's, "It's hard when my Hanguang-Jun isn't beside me."

"M-My... Hanguang-Jun...?" Sizhui thought to himself, embarrassed at such a nickname.

They watched as Wei Ying held his hands, his face turning gentle. 

"Lan Zhan."

"Mhm."

"Can I hug you?"

The juniors had to cover their mouths in shock. They had known about the romantic words the two exchanged at times, but never did they know of the things that happened while they were not present.

Lan Zhan walked up to the younger, and slowly pulled him into a hug. Wei Ying relaxed into it, giggling as he wrapped his arms around the boy's back. The juniors couldn't believe what they were seeing. A moment like this, they would probably never come to see again.

"Lan Zhan... It's only been a couple weeks and you're already this clingy?" He teased. Lan Zhan replied with a hum, hugging him tighter and swaying their bodies back and forth.

"I wonder what would've happened if I had left for a couple months..." He looked at Lan Zhan's facial expression, seeing a slight shade of pink invading his smooth-skinned cheeks.

"Eh? Would you have kissed me?" Lan Zhan gasped, "Would you have?"

Seeing their teacher and respected senior so panicked, the juniors couldn't help but stare at the scene with fascination. They watched as Wei Ying placed his hand warmly on Lan Zhan's cheek. The older stared with an innocent look. His eyes a tad bit wide, his lips parted. It was as if the only thing he could do was stare at the other.

"Er-gege..." He spoke with a smile forming on his face, "There's no one around. What is there to be afraid of?"

Lan Zhan took a deep breath, "Nothing."

Wei Ying giggled and put his forehead against Wangji's. They closed their eyes, Lan Zhan listening closely to the endearing sound of Wei Ying's laugh. Lan Sizhui smiled upon it. His two father figures being so intimate with each other was quite the sight to see. While Jingyi and Zizhen stared at them in shock, they were even more surprised by what would happen next.

Lan Zhan held Wei Ying's face, and leaned to give him a kiss on the forehead. It was loving. Not too fast, not too slow.

"I missed you, Wei Ying," Stroking the back of his head, black hairs were kneaded through his fingers. 

"Of course you did. I remember how you acted after we met up again. After the three months I spent in the Burial Mounds," He reminisced on the easier times, remembering how everything used to be easier. His Shije was still alive then, and so was Jin Zixuan. Although he never talked about it, his guilt for them two was torturing him every day.

Lan Zhan noticed the sudden change in Wei Ying's face, immediately knowing what he had just thought about. He pulled his face to look at him, and shook his head with a slight smile.

"It wasn't your fault. None of it was," Wangji spoke caringly, his hand wiping a small tear with his thumb. 

Wei Ying placed his forehead on top of Lan Zhan's again, his heart aching once again, "Just as I thought. I can't live without you next to me. Lan Wangji."

Lan Zhan smiled the smallest bit, making the juniors fall over in surprise. Zizhen had fallen on an old stick, cracking it in two. Lan Zhan unsheathed Bichen and walked over to the sound. When he noticed the disciples around the corner, his cheeks instantly turned a bright shade of red. He had just messed up.

Big time.