hide me away (wangxian)

TW: BLOOD

Running through the woods, rain pouring and hands tightly linked together, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were injured and panicked. As they both ran, they could hear the shouts coming from behind them, shouting and cheering for both of their deaths. 

You see, they had been running from the Nie Clan and the Yao Clan. As they had both still believed in the corruption of Wei Wuxian, and his so-called "evil ways," they made a deal to search and kill both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. They had finally located them hiding at Yiling, in the basement of their trusted inn. They had only managed to get out with a couple of sword injuries.

Wei Ying lost his footing, falling onto the cold, muddy ground. His tears could not be seen, but his voice would reveal the secrets falling from his eyes. Lan Zhan leaned down to him, kneeled on one knee, holding his hand out.

"We have to keep going, Wei Ying," For the first time, Wei Ying had actually heard fear in Lan Wangji's voice, "We just have to make it to Cloud Recesses."

Wei Ying shook his head rapidly, his voice shaking terribly as he spoke, "No, no. We can't go to Cloud Recesses. That's where they expect us to go. We have to find somewhere to hide where they'll least expect it."

Lan Zhan nodded, grabbing Wei Ying's hand and helping him up. Their feet soon picked up where they left off, and they ran again. 

***

Running inside, they hid their faces and quickly made their way to the main room in Lotus Pier. Getting there, Wei Ying showed his face for a split second, and the guards allowed them inside. Seeing two figures enter the room and the door being swiftly closed and locked, Jiang Wanyin immediately knew who the two people were.

The rain made loud noises upon the roof, the two people falling onto the ground in exhaustion. They had run for almost three days, trying to get to Lotus Pier before the Yao and Nie clans got to them. Revealing their faces, they coughed out water that had gotten into their lungs.

Jiang Cheng walked up to Wei Wuxian and helped him up, "I heard what happened. Have you two been running that entire time?"

Wei Ying could do nothing but nod. He was too tired to speak, and his main focus was helping Lan Zhan. He walked over to the older and helped him up as well.

"I'm assuming you came here because you need to hide," The clan leader spoke again, his face serious as normal.

"You know where we need to hide."

The place where they always hid as kids. No one knew about it, not even their late parents. And who knew, that place would become a hideaway for two rogues. Jiang Cheng brought them to the very brim of Lotus Pier, a place that no one ever came near. It was locked off and not used for years, the garden in which the hiding place was present.

Jiang Cheng opened a rusted latch, a moss-covered-rotting-wood plank being lifted and revealing a deep tunnel downward, that would lead to their hiding spot.

"I'll bring you all the stuff you'll need. Don't ever leave. I'll announce that I killed you, and find some way to prove it."

Wei Ying cried and hugged his brother, "How many times will you have to save me like this, Jiang Cheng?"

"Hell, I'm not doing this again. After this, it's your fault if you get killed."

Wei Ying scoffed and smiled. A tear left his cheek and he entered the hiding spot with Lan Zhan. The days, he knew, would go by slowly and painfully. 

***

Crying silently in his shoulder, Wei Ying gripped the white clothes on his chest. 

"How did it get this far?" He spoke, a clear brokenness in his voice.

All Lan Zhan could do was hold him and tell him it would be alright. The Yao clan had gone to Cloud Recesses, and the Nie clan had come to Lotus pier. Of course. They had expected that the two would go to the least suspected place.

They could hear Nie Huaisang's footsteps, having to keep insanely quiet. Everyone knew that Huaisang had incredible hearing skills. The tears falling from Wei Ying's cheeks were absorbed by the clothes he had hidden his face into.

"Found you~"

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji froze in their place. Huaisang's voice was clear as day and they hadn't even noticed the latch opening. 

Another skill Huaisang had: He could be as quiet as a mouse.

The pure tune to his voice brought horror upon one's mind. He could make himself sound like your worst fear. 

"Why don't you come out, Wei Wuxian? Come on, I just want to talk, I won't kill you," He spoke again, freezing the bones in both their bodies.

Huaisang lowered his voice, scaringly low, "Or maybe, I will kill you."

To think that this was the same boy who drank wine when he wasn't supposed to, and got scared of ghost puppets to the point of passing out. He had put up a great act. And all for what? The fun of torturing people. To him, it was fun.

"Wei Wuxian~ Wei Wuxian. WEI WUXIAN~" He shouted that last part, still in the melodic tune.

Wei Ying's hands were pure white from gripping Lan Zhan's clothes so hard. His eyes were wide open, he couldn't breathe, and he felt as though he would vomit at any second. His pale face and colorless lips would be noticeable to anyone.

"Wei Wuxia-"

Blood splattered over Wei Ying and Lan Zhan's clothes. A loud thump sounded. They looked to the side to see Nie Huaisang on the floor. His head had been dented entirely from the back. Blood spilled everywhere.

"Wen Ning?!" 

"Young master, are you alright? Did he hurt you?" Wen Ning asked, helping the two men out of the place.

"No, but how did you get here?" Wei Ying questioned, relieved but confused.

"That doesn't matter right now. What matters is that you're alright."

The two walked into the Lotus Pier main room, to find Clan Leader Yao kneeling to Jiang Cheng. He was rambling on about apologizing and forgiveness, but Wei Ying knew that Jiang Wanyin was not the type of person to be a pushover.

"You tried to kill one of our own, do you really think that I will excuse that?"

"Please! Please! I'm the only descendant of our clan! It cannot be continued if I die!" The clan leader begged.

"Ooo, that's not gonna go by well with him," Wei Ying thought to himself. He knew that Jiang Cheng would not excuse it no matter what he said, now.

They watched as he dragged him out by the hair, and Zidian unraveled into a whip of lightning. Wei Ying nodded, as he knew this would happen.

"You gonna kill him?" Wei Wuxian asked, smiling mischievously.

"Huh?! Kill me?!"

Wei Wuxian started laughing, "Don't hurt him too much, Jiang Cheng!"

"I can't promise!" He replied.

Wei Ying sighed, the terrifying part, finally over. He knew that things would finally start to calm down, now that Nie Huaisang was dead. Things would be okay.

"Wei Ying."

He turned to the older, "What is it, Lan Zhan?"

"Do you realize that you're finally clear now?"

Wei Wuxian had just been freed of all the lies spread about him. 

And it hit him. Right then and there, he realized that he was finally free.