Chapter 8

It's been three days since Annie came home from the hospital and she has been in her room since. Her brothers don't talk to her except for Ashton, who has been sneaking her food for the past three days. Not that she needed to it, she just had not left her room to eat anything since she had been back because her appetite had disappeared and she wasn't in the mood to see or talk to anyone except Ashton who ensured she ate all that he brought her.

Knock Knock

Annie opened her eyes as she heard the knocking but closed them back and hoped the person would just go away. But to her dismay, the knocking continued. With a huff filled with frustration and tiredness, she peeled the sheets off herself and left the bed to go see who was at the door.

As soon as it was open, there stood a panting Ashton struggling to balance a medium-sized container in his hand. Annie quickly took the container from her little brother and ushered him inside. She scanned the hallway to see if anyone was around before shutting the door and placed the container which she assumed contained food from the kitchen on her desk then went and sat beside Ashton in the sofa she had in her room.

"Are you okay?" she asked her brother, watching him intently, who was still trying to regulate his breathing

"Yeah, I... I think so," he breathed

"Why are you almost out of breath?"

"I was packing food for you again when I heard mom coming into the kitchen, I hid under the counter for about ten minutes. After she left, I hurried and finish packing the food for you. Then, when I was finish, the container felt so heavy, so I tried to drag it along. That was not a good idea because it made a lot of noise as it moved across the floor and mom and dad were in the living room. So, I tried my best to lift the container because I am strong," they both laughed at this, "then I ran all the way up here before anyone could see me, "Ashton finished with a smile. Annie returned the smile, and tears welled up in her eyes at the thought of the kindness her seven-year-old brother shows her when no one else here does anymore.

"Thanks Ash, but I told you to not to steal food because I'm not hungry, I'm good. And when I feel hungry, I'll go down and fix myself something to eat. What if your mom catches you one day? What will happen then? I don't want you getting into trouble for me or me being blamed for allowing you to steal food for me."

"But how is it stealing when mom takes the food home for all of us to eat it?"

Annie tilted her head in awe at how smart this sweet soul is, "because, you don't have permission to take it"

"Oh," Ashton scrunched his brows, seeming to be thinking for a while, "she won't, I'm too skilled and clever," he beamed up at Annie

"She won't what?"

"Catch me," he grinned.

"Well I don't doubt that, you are batman himself. But let this be the last time you sneak food for me okay?"

"But..." Ashton trailed off

"No buts. I don't want you to get scolding for me, I'll be fine," she said seriously

"Okay?"

"Okay," Ashton relented.

Annie smiled and hugged her brother who was frowning despite agreeing to her request, and the tears rolled down her cheeks.

She knew he meant no harm, that he only wanted to know that she was okay. And being a hermit in the room and not eating was a sign to Ashton that his sister was not okay. But Annie very well knew that if Trina comes to know about this, it would not end well. Ashton had asked about the scars and swelling on her face the first day she returned as well as why she was not home for a few days but she told him it was special effects makeup for a play she did at school and that she had to stay over at Tara's house to practice. She was surprised he actually believed her and didn't press any further.