Chapter 30

Got me looking at the ceiling. And I can feel it, my emotions sealing, locking up, seizing. Cardiac arrest, chest squeezing. I plead guilty and my sentence is grieving, charged with murder and reason. I betrayed myself for you, killed my mental health for you, gave away myself for you. And, I didn't like that.

A week later and Ammie was sill ignoring Josh's calls and messages. The picture, caption and comments had not left her memory since and she was not mentally prepared to confront him about it. Besides if she just ignored the problem and forget it ever happened there would be no need for confrontation. At least that's what she kept telling herself.

"Popcorn?" Jade asked emerging from the kitchen with a large bowl of popcorn coated with mounds of melted butter and cheese. Ammie looked up from the television and smiled.

"Yup, but I don't want to share so you'll have to pop another bowl for yourself," Ammie grinned

"Way ahead of you," Jade laughed handing Ammie the bowl and retreating to the kitchen for the second one which she did make for herself in advance. Jade knew Ammie wouldn't want to share because Ammie disliked sharing her food. Returning, Jade joined Ammie on the sofa. Both munching on handfuls of popcorn at a time whilst watching Insurgent on TNT. Ammie's phone started vibrating from its place on the small table in the middle of the room. She picked it up without checking the caller I.D., her attention focused on the tv.

"Hello?" she asked into the phone

"Ammie why haven't you been returning my calls or texting me back?" Immediately Ammie's mood went dull when she realized who was on the other end of the call. Falling into a trance, she placed the popcorn beside her on the sofa and went to her room.

"Ammie? Ammie?" Josh asked checking if she was still there.

"Who is Liz and why was she wearing your chain?" The line went silent for a few minutes before Joh answered.

"Liz is my best friend Ammie. She is very special to me,"

"How long has she been your best friend?"

"Since childhood,"

Ammie laughed out loud, she was fuming inside but opted to keep her cool and not give her dear boyfriend the satisfaction of getting under her skin without even trying. He's allowed to have a female best friend, no big deal.

"Why was she wearing your chain?" she asked again

"Because she was going on a music trip and came over my apartment to bid me goodbye, and -"

"Oh, so she came over to your apartment. Why don't you tell me more about that?" Ammie spoke up, daring herself to think about Liz going to Josh's place to say 'goodbye'. The thought sending shivers down her spine. To her surprise Josh burst out laughing.

"Ammie relax, I just gave her my chain so she can remember me"

RELAX?!

"Doesn't that chain mean something to you?" Ammie asked earning another laugh from Josh. She furrowed her brows in confusion, asking herself what was so humorous.

"No Ammie, it's just a chain," he replied but Ammie could judge from his tone that what he just said wasn't the whole truth, so she pressed further.

"If the chain holds no significance then why did you always wear it. All the time in Washington, you literally never took it off. And after moving to New York, whenever we video chat you were wearing it. Now now Ferguison. Don't let me have to ask the question again,"

Another laugh erupted from Josh and Ammie wondered why he kept laughing instead of answering her questions.

"You remember Melody, right?"