Chapter 36

It's been weeks since Annie and Jade died, and since then Ammie has not left her apartment, nor spoken to anyone. Josh had to delay going back to Washington just to stay and take care of her. Katy kept calling, and even Marlon and Trina, but Ammie wasn't interested in talking to anyone so Josh had to be the liaison, keeping her updated with everything and even when he came to relay the messages Ammie just listened and never responded.

It has been without a doubt, a very rough time for everyone but none like Ammie and Josh was worried about her wellbeing as he told Katy when he met with her for dinner. She and the three boys flew to New York a week ago to attend the funeral and so did Marlon and Trina

Today was the funeral and though Josh got dressed, he didn't know if Ammie was going to accompany him there. With a deep sigh he went and knocked on her door

"Hey honey, I'm leaving now," he turned away not expecting a response

"Hey wait, I'm coming"

Josh jumped in surprise at the voice

"A-Am-Ammie, what did you say?"

Ammie opened the door revealing herself dressed in a simple black burlap dress and flats with her hair pulled back in a ponytail and holding a neatly folded piece of paper.

"I said you should wait up, but I'm ready now. Let's go"

With wide eyes Josh just stood there staring at Ammie as she walked pass him, it was as if he was paralyzed with shock. But quickly snapped out of it and followed her out.

---

"And now we'll hear some words from Annie's sister and Jade's best friend, Ammie Brians," the pastor said

Ammie made her way up to stand in front of everyone. She forced herself to scan the faces that were present just to get an idea of all the people who knew her sister and Jade. As she briefly looked at each face, she couldn't tell if she was doing it for closure or to see how many persons thought they knew the two of the most important people in her life. Her eyes landed on Marlon and Trina and resisted the urge to ask them what they were doing here.

"Hi. Many of you probably expect me talk about the wonderful life my sister and I shared, and how great it was growing up together. But equally, many of you know I can't do that, and instead of going into details as to why I can't I'll let you gossip about it later. However, I do have something to say", as she spoke Ammie began to unfold the piece of paper in her hand, "about someone who played a significant role in my life, Jade McCallister".

Jade taught me that when you have something good that is broken you fix it and don't just throw it away because you may never find another like it.

As she said this, she looked at Josh who smiled back at her, both remembering how Jade encouraged them to always forgive and make up with each other because their relationship was worth fighting for.

Jade knew what pain, hurt and real lost was and she never missed an opportunity to tell me that despite everything, I have a wonderful life and people who cares about me. I just hope she knows that I see it now, everything she told me and was trying to tell me. And I'll be eternally grateful to her for that.

Jade was a good person. She didn't deserve what she got and sometimes we berate life for taking the good ones. But Jade wouldn't want us to do that, at least not for her. So my next few words will focus on only appraising her, and maybe she wouldn't like that either. But it was I only who saw her rare moments of happiness and what triggered them. And I have a feeling this may just be one of those triggers.

I didn't know Jade. And that really causes you to wonder huh? How can I have known someone for so long, someone who knew me for who I am yet never knew who they were. I didn't know Jade, but I knew this much, that below all the anger, burden, bitterness and guilt I failed to see. Jade was a caring, kind-hearted soul and I am blessed to have known that part of her.