32

OUR LAST ;

Silence.

A really, deafening silence.

I opened my mouth, trying to form the right words to say but nothing came. I felt my heart pounding hard seeing the girl that did nothing but to love genuinely, laying down on a white bed, pale and weak.

My mind was in absolute uncertainty, while my tears slowly fell down to my shoes. I had every chance to help her but I was too blind not to notice that she was already suffering. That day, that I saw her in the restroom... I knew something was wrong. Yet, she made me doubt even more. I had all the time, but I remained blind.

Elliot could sense what I was feeling just through my eyes and so he finally spoke.

"Blood Malediction—a curse in fact..." I looked at him with disbelief in my eyes. She was also cursed, just like me. But it's severe and more serious.

"She's dying, Amoura."

I was utterly speechless. I was at a loss of words to speak; my mind couldn't absorb what I just had learned.

I walked a few steps and went closer to where she laid, seeing her rosy-cheeked, vanishing and turning to this, ashen and sickly color. "She had an attack a few days ago. It was said that it couldn't be treated."

"Mrs. Greengrass got so frightened, and so she called Malfoy." That single sentence, made me realize that gave me an answer to my uncertainty. That was what was bothering him these past few days.

"He didn't know?" I asked.

"She never told him... because, she didn't want him to know." My eyes travelled to the wires attached to her wrist. "Was that the reason why she broke up with him all of a sudden?" I was sure that what I was saying was right. I just need to hear him say those words that agreed to my question.

It felt like I was able to looked for that missing piece in a puzzle, as it slowly unravels the truth.

"She was afraid that he wouldn't be able to take it if she passes away. She wanted Draco to be happy and move on before she'd leave, which lead to you. You've made Draco the happiest ever yet, Ames."

There was silence again.

He took a deep breath and spoke. "She loved him so much. She just endured the pain of seeing him with you. She said that 'at least, draco would be happy again, it's what matters the most.' Astoria... she's too selfless."

"But you're together, right?" I recalled. Elliot has been with Astoria when sixth year started. I remember how happy he was that day, that he even got himself to confess that he once had feelings for me which i laughed off.

"Yeah. I courted her. But through the days, I knew deep down—she still loves him... even when we were together. But I understand her. Of course, there would always be a place in her heart for him. But I kept asking myself... what was my role in her life?" I felt pain in his words.

"Where is he?" I faced him while wiping the tears that formed. but he stood there, like a statue—looking surprised. "Amoura?"

I faced her while she held my hand and gently pressed it. She was crying and quivering.

"Amoura, I'm sorry. I-i didn't know that my mother would l-let Draco know. I'm sorry. It was n-never my intention to bother the both of you. H-he wasn't supposed to know." She sobbed while my eyes remained at hers.

"I-i'm not in the position to ask you this but p-please, take care of him. I-i know that I caused him so much pain before... but I loved him..." She paused as she took a few seconds to breathe.