The Book

"Why doesn't anything happen normally here?" A young girl of fifteen asked.

"I asked you to be patient with me. Not everything that doesn't happen here is considered normal. Come to the nurses' rooms with me. We'll check in on your sister." A bald guy smiled and replied. His golden eyes always glimmered when he smiled, making everyone around him suddenly calm.

They walked into a blue room, greeted a few people, and went to the corner to meet the girl's sister.

"Charlotte! It's great seeing you again. All this war and blood and wounds have made me miserable. It's nice to have positive energy around me for a change." Charlotte's sister, Clexa Skurt said.

"It's great seeing you do such a good job in healing, Skurt. I always assumed you were good only in technical stuff." the man said.

"We are full of surprises, Ullin." Clexa winked at Charlotte.

"That's right. I bet you didn't know our mom is from Scarcia. That makes us half Scarcians."

"Be careful. There are spies and snitches everywhere. Not a word about any planet must slip from your mouth." Ullin warned them.

***********************************************************************

"I hate school." Axerd groaned. He was walking home from school with Bexley. "It isn't that bad," Bexley said, shifting her legs. "You say that only because you score well in all subjects." Axerd grinned. Bexley frowned and stuck her tongue at him. "Hey, can you lend your English notes for today? I have some notes to complete." She asked. Axerd opened his bag to get his book. A thick, brown book covered with leather, fell out when he reached for his book.

"What's that? It looks cool!"

"I have no idea. I've never seen it before. I'm not much of a reader, so you can have it." Axerd said.

"Thank you! I'll come to the cafe tomorrow, we can walk to school together." Bexley waved and walked away.

Bexley rang the bell. "Hello dear! How was your school? Did you enjoy it?" A woman with a broad nose and rosy cheeks opened the door and let Bexley in. She had snake-like green eyes and was shorter than Bexley. "Yes, Sierra. It was a good day." Bexley replied and walked in.

"What book do you have there in your hand, Bexley?" Sierra asked, eyeing the book.

"Oh. This is Axerd's book. He doesn't read so he gave it to me. I haven't opened it yet."

Sierra nodded. "Is it a reference textbook? Do you mind if I have a look at it?" Sierra asked.

"I don't know what it is, Sierra. If it is a reference book, of course, I'll show it to you. You are my tutor, after all." She smiled.

She quickly ran to her room without waiting for Sierra to say anything. What happened to Sierra? She's acting weird. She thought as she shut the door to her room. She hardly opened the book, when suddenly, blinding white light filled the room.

Someone spoke, her voice echoed but it was low. "Finally it's in good hands. All these years of hard work were not put to waste. I believe you'll make us proud."

And in a whiff, like it was all a dream, her room became quite dark again.

She picked up her phone to call Axerd immediately but was interrupted by Sierra, who was eager to take a look at the book.

"It sure does look like a good reference textbook, but you'll have to eat something too." she smiled.

"I know, I'm not seven or twelve anymore. And this isn't a reference textbook. This is just a storybook. I'll be downstairs in a few minutes."