Mara May

Phoebe

I parked my car in the underground garage, shut it off, then leaned back tiredly in my seat. It'd been a long day, and I was exhausted and hungry. I didn't even want to make the trip up to my apartment I was so lazy. Mustering up what little energy I had left, I grabbed my heels and my bag then made the trip up to my floor. I unlocked my door and stepped inside the dark living room, hearing a crunch beneath my foot. I flicked on the light and read the note that was laid on my oak wood floors.

Hello Phoebe, I'm Winter. I wanted to thank you so much for your welcome letter. I, too, think me and my Fiancé will like it here. Everyone's very friendly. I look forward to meeting you. Thank you.

- Apt #5681 ~Winter&Kaiden

Winter and Kaiden. I smiled at the note and sat it on my table, deciding I'd write one later. It was 9pm, and usually I would've been home already but I had a late start and everything got pushed back. First, I stripped from my work attire into some furry white sweats and a matching sweater, then slid on my slippers afterward. In the kitchen I pulled out the chicken I had defrosting in the fridge and some pasta from my pantry. My phone vibrated loudly on the granite countertop, nearing the edge.

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Hey, hun, what're you doing?" Mara- my absolutely only friend- wondered.

"My apartment, why?" She was always being sneaky; planning surprise parties, taking me out to drink trying to get me too shitfaced to face the next day. We worked in the same building but not for the same business.

"Well, I seen Felix and his new snatch on Facebook cuddling up at a bar. You need to get out, it's been four months already." I pulled out a pot and filled it with water and pasta before seasoning my chicken thoroughly.

"I don't care about him, Mara. I don't need a push or whatever it is you plan to get me to do." Most likely set me up on a blind date. It'd be the 5th since I broke it off with Felix.

"I'm coming over, Phoebe."

"Then join me for dinner. I don't need this, honestly." She groaned frustratedly.

"Fine! After we eat, at least go out with me for a drink. Nowhere far, we can even walk." I rubbed at my temples and sighed in defeat. "Yes!" She rejoiced, knowing me well enough to know I've caved. I hung up on her and preheated the oven while simultaneously stirring the pasta. I really didn't feel like going  out tonight, but I'd agreed to a drink. One drink. After I put the chicken in the oven I headed down the hallway to change in my room. I threw on a random black mini skirt and a red halter top. I'd wait to let my hair down until after dinner so I wouldn't risk cross contamination. No one likes hair in their food. Back in the kitchen I busied myself with dinner and pulled out a bottle of white wine. It felt like in no time she was buzzing my apartment. I let her in without a word and set the table.

"You look great!" She complimented as soon as I opened the door. Her dark maroon hair flowed around her in big curls, framing her big breasts and wide curves.

"Thank you, Mara. Come in." She engulfed me in her arms and I inhaled her sweet fragrance. "You smell good."

"You do, too. Which isn't what I was expecting. How are you?" Unneeded sympathy laced in her undertone and her eyes screamed 'VENT TO ME, YOU CAN TELL ME ANYTHING'.

"Mara, I promise you, I'm fine." She shrugged her shoulders, unconvinced. Her grey doe eyes took in my features and she sat at the table.

"I don't know if I'd be fine after catching my man in my bed with another women after my birthday." I scolded her until my eyes hurt.

"Not my bed anymore, I dumped that thing in the trash as fast as I put him out on his ass. I don't need him. My life didn't revolve around him. Just think of Felix as a walking talking fuck-toy, that I threw away without a problem. Now you making it seem like such a big deal is MY problem. Got me?" Sometimes I had to be hard on Mara May. I loved her but Jesus, it'd been 4 months and I'd been over him. I think if she were in my shoes she'd still be in bed sobbing, because Mara was always able to do something I never have-love deeply and fully. Unconditionally. And Irrevocably.

Like the romantic sitcoms.

"Fine, I get it. He's the gum on the bottom of your shoe." I clicked my tongue.

"Not even, because gum sticks and is messy. He's simply nothing." I clipped, pouring our wine and taking a seat. Mara snickered adorably, shaking her head.

"You're a strong women. I'm curious to know the man that's going to tame your ass." We both laughed and I found myself wondering too. "Mmm, this chicken is so tender and seasoned so well." She complimented, ravishing in the delicious meat. I tasted it myself and let the flavors explode and melt in my mouth.

"Mmm," I moaned. "My grandma taught me how to cook." I said, reminiscing in my past. It was just me now. My mother died when I was 4 and my dad was never around. So, my grandmother took care of me, we were extremely close until she passed away when I was 15. I held back my tears that were on the cusp of spilling and took a sip of my wine.

"She must have been an amazing women." Mara said, genuine sorrow in her tone. She'd went through loss too, and although we didn't talk much about it, we both connected through it.

"She was. Now, I think tonight, just for me, we can have a girls night in. I have more wine, I have a Firestick, I have comfy clothes..." I wriggled my eyebrows, hoping it gave the idea more appeal. She rolled her eyes and groaned.

"Fine! Just for you."