15- Of banter, fairy lights and candy cane - jinkook

Prompt: Jin and Jungkook compete in Christmas house decoration.

(That's 100% crack, fam + US setting because only US people get this hyped up over Christmas decorations BUT I apparently decided to turn them into some sort of posh British nouveaux riches at the same time. Enjoy this absolute mess.)

—————

It was a beautiful morning in the peaceful neighbourhood of Evergreen Woods Slope, a few courageous birds chirping in the quiet cold of December. The sun was shyly peeking through some white cotton candy clouds, the fresh snow shimmering under its pale rays. The main street was basking in blissful silence, at least until an outraged shout could be heard in the house of the Kims.

"He did what now???"

Seokjin Kim, aged twenty-five, head of the house, irrupted in the kitchen with hurried steps that gave away his ire, the tails of his silky opened dressing gown fluttering wildly behind him. His brother Namjoon (twenty-four) and his sister Taeeun (nineteen) were following him in a much more composed attitude.

"I don't see how this is a big deal", Namjoon was shrugging while Taeeun sat in between their two remaining siblings.

Taehyung (twenty-three) raised an inquisitive eyebrow at his oldest brother before closing his newspaper — an actual one, made out of paper — with a sigh.

"Here we go again", he muttered, lowly enough so only Taeeun and Hansung (seventeen) could hear, prompting a giggle from the two youngest Kims.

"Is it about the Jeons again?" Hansung asked, shoving the rest of his PBJ toast in his mouth.

"Well, obviously", Taeeun deadpanned, "Jeongguk Jeon is all Seokjin has been talking about lately. If I didn't know our brother that well, I'd say he's obsessed."

"I'm not—"

"What did he do?" Hansung asked, cutting Seokjin off his rant and earning a grateful smile from Namjoon.

It's not that Hansung particularly wanted to know the answer, because, at this point, everyone had an inkling of what had put their brother in a bad mood. But it was still better than suffering a fifteen-minute vehement tirade about why and how Jeongguk Jeon was an absolute cockalorum, a froward simpleton and a sneaky little scoundrel.

Seokjin flopped dramatically on a chair in front of Taehyung, the latter nonchalantly filling his porcelain cup with freshly-brewed coffee from the French press. Namjoon handed him the porcelain sugar bowl and Hansung dutifully passed him the porcelain plate full of toats.

"This snollygoster has put gingerbread men and reindeers tinsels on their fence."

"Did he, now?" Taehyung replied in barely concealed disinterest.

"The impudence", Taeeun sassed with a very detailed eye-roll — she was definitely spending too much time with Yoonji Min. "Can you imagine, someone putting Christmas decorations on their fence?"

"I wouldn't have minded if he hadn't put the exact same decorations as me!" Jin scolded, furiously biting into his toast.

Taehyung sighed, taking a sip of his oolong tea. Seokjin, his twenty-five-year-old brother, the one who had become their legal guardian after the tragic and unexpected death of their parents in a plane crash four years ago, while their eldest sister Yubin had taken over their father's company; the one who had a double degree in Business and Mechanical Engineering, plus a minor in Acting just for the sake of it; the one who was the most handsome of them all — although Taehyung came to a close second — and exuded charisma and presence, was losing his goddamn mind over a petty Christmas decorations competition against their twenty-three-year-old neighbour, Jeongguk Jeon.