21- A sprinkle of doubt, a leap of faith - namgi

Prompt: Namjoon is pretending to be his friend's lover for the sake of the friend's family. Yoongi is said friend's sibling.

—————

Kim Namjoon liked to think of himself as a sensible man. He knew his twenty-six years of life weren't nearly enough for him to be considered "wise" in any way, because nobody was truly wise and people kept learning throughout their life, but he considered himself reasonable and mature enough to lead a good, quiet, and humble life. That was, at least, the plan. But plans, Namjoon learnt, could be thrown out the window when you were friends with the charming but absolute menace that was Min Yoonji.

"Yoonji", he sighed, slumping a bit more against the cushions of her sofa. "I'm sorry, I love you, but I can't do it."

"Why not?" his friend arched an eyebrow, staring at him from the other side of the couch. They were at Yoonji's place for a movie night, but so far, the movie had been blatantly ignored by the two of them.

"I'm a terrible actor!"

"You owe me a favour, though", Yoonji countered. "Ever since you lost that bet at Taehyung's last party."

"That bet was ridiculous."

"Then you didn't have to make a bet with me in the first place!"

"I just did because I was sure I was going to win!" Namjoon groaned, wriggling on the couch like a petulant toddler.

"You know what they say, Namjoon, 'to believe with certainty, we must begin by doubting'", Yoonji cackled.

"I was just trying to have faith in my friends!" the man shot back. "How did you even manage to convince Jimin that he could actually float on a waterproof tarpaulin if he folded it enough times to be sufficiently thick?"

"I think 'convince' is not the right term, Namjoonie", she threw her head back in laughter again. "It was more along the lines of persuasion."

"You really are a menace."

"But you have to admit, you enjoyed the whole debacle, too. The funniest part was when he convinced Taehyung to try it with him in the pool, then they got tangled together while sinking in the water and eventually got kissed by Jeongguk because they were 'in need of CPR'."

"Don't tell me this was your whole plan since the beginning", Namjoon groaned again, throwing his arm over his eyes. When he didn't hear any reply, he peeked from under his sleeve only to see his friend grinning widely like a kid in front of the Christmas tree. "Really? That was your plan all along? Unbelievable."

"I guess I should apologise, but you do know that in all successful grand schemes lie some casualties." Yoonji patted his calf with the most insincere smile, far too smug for his liking. "And, well, you don't really have a reason to complain. You did get out of this unharmed."

"So far", Namjoon deadpanned. "I can't say I will stay unharmed during the nonsensical stunt you want me to perform."

"Namjoon, my dear friend, can't you have a little faith in me?" Yoonji pouted, coming closer to him and batting her eyelashes.

"'When you doubt, abstain'", he recited with a pointed look.

"'Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we might win, by fearing to attempt'", Yoonji retorted with a small smile.

"Shakespeare, uh? But 'modest doubt is the beacon of the wise', too."

"I thought you didn't think of yourself as wise, Namjoon?"