Chapter 24: Trapped

Maki still felt lightheaded when she opened her eyes. Her vision was incredibly blurry when she opened them for the first time. She was forced to close them again as it gave her a bad feeling of vertigo. She tried to use her other sense until she felt like she could open her eyes again. She could smell candles burning, the air heavy with the smell of wax. She also smelled something else, but she can't place her finger on it just yet. She could hear someone moving around in the room that she was in. She could hear objects being moved around too. She could feel that she was laying down on something hard, like stone or something like that. She also felt like she was laying on her hands and something was wrapped around her body.

Feeling like she was less disoriented, Maki opened her eyes and looked around as best she could. The room was quite small, dimly lit by candles all over the room. Noticing an open door, Maki could see stairs leading upwards. She's still in the cottage, she just had been moved into the basement. She hadn't been down here, the only places she had been were the bathroom and bedroom Kaito rested in.

Upon hearing movement again, Maki shifted her eyes towards it. He was down here too. Maki glared hard at Kiyo as he had his back turned to her, wishing that he'd burst into flames right then and there. She doesn't know what he had planned to do, or what he has done to Kaito, but she needs to get out of here. She tried to sit up from the stone table she was laid down on. However, her movement was constricted. Maki looked down at herself, and realised why she had a feeling of tightness around her body. Rope had been tied around her ankles, above and below her knees and her chest and tied her hands behind her back, making them almost numb. Maki tried to move, but the ropes held firm on her body.

"Ah. You're awake. You've been out for quite a while."

Maki sharply turned her head. Kiyo had heard her shifting around. A while? How long was Maki passed out for? Is Kaito okay? Maki glared at Kiyo as he approached her. He was moving calmly, knowing that everything had gone according to plan at this.

"What is this?" Maki demanded as the man reached the table.

"I apologise for this." Kiyo sighed, reaching for Maki's face to stroke. Maki moved away from him, not wanting him to get close to her. "I recommend that you don't struggle. It's a charm that I'd learned years ago. The more you struggle, the tighter the ropes get." Maki didn't believe him at first. However, when she tried to move her hands, she actually felt the rope get a little tighter. As much as she didn't want to admit she was in trouble, Maki let herself be defeated for now. She relaxed her body as best she could and stopped moving.

"Why am I down here?" She demanded again.

"Isn't it obvious?" Kiyo asked, avoiding the question completely. He brushed hairs away from her face again before slowly stroking her cheek, making her uncomfortable. "Such a pretty face. It's a shame that it won't see the light of day again." Feeling the urge to at least try to fight back, Maki swiftly turned her head to bite his fingers. Kiyo swiftly pulled away her, seeming to sense what she was doing.

"What makes you think that keeping me here will accomplish anything? Especially when my friend wakes up." Maki sneered. She knows that it might turn out to be an empty threat, but she needs to try to scare this guy somehow.

"It's sad to say that he won't find you." Kiyo shrugged, not caring about Maki's words. He suddenly brought his face close to Maki's. If she wasn't tied up or if she could've slipped free, Maki would've punched him. "And your compassion towards him...I admire it so much. You'll be a perfect friend for Sister."

"Sister?" Maki repeated, keeping her eyes on Kiyo as he walked away from her, back to where he was standing before. She didn't fully understand what he had meant. He was going to give her away to somebody?