Chapter 28: Comfort

As soon as Kaito and Maki found the inn that Ryoma had mentioned, they wasted no time in booking a room. It wasn't as good as the one at Kirumi's but it was good enough for them. Without waiting for Maki's opinion, Kaito asked if she could have a bath because she looked like she needed it. The innkeeper's wife was able to prepare a bath in their room. Maki was hesitant at first, but the warmth that she felt form the water was all too tempting. As soon as she got in the bath, all of her tense muscles relaxed instantly. Maki sighed contently and laid back in the basin. However, what had happened would not leave her alone. As she looked at the burns on her wrists, a cruel reminder of her imprisonment. She could never clear her mind of it. While the thoughts of being sacrificed for a dead sibling, that wasn't what had her scarf the most. What scared her the most then was the thought of leaving Kaito behind. And the thought of him almost dying because of her. It was her decision to go into Web Valley. She should never have taken Kaito through there. Why didn't they go the safe way instead of taking the dangerous route?! She was such an idiot! And she almost lost the one person she loves because of that. She'll never forgive herself for this.

Feeling the water turn cold snapped Maki out of her grief and self hatred. She got out from the tub and dried herself off, ignoring the scars on her body, both old and new. Once she was dressed, she stepped into the bedroom that she and Kaito were sharing. Maki was thankful that the room had a double bed. She wasn't normally clingy, but she had a need to be held in the night. Kaito shouldn't mind if she asked. However, Maki almost panicked when she noticed that she was alone. Kaito wasn't in the room. She assumed that he had fallen asleep since it was silent here. Maki then noticed a note on the dresser. She read it immediately and sighed in relief. Kaito left it for her, telling her that he was just going to get food for them to have in the room. Feeling calmer now, Maki sat down in front of the dresser. She untied her hair and brushed it, harshly jerking at the knots in her long hair. As she did so, she stared at her reflection. Without thinking, her mind wondered back to when she confessed to Kaito while he was unconscious. She doubted that Kaito heard her while he slept, he hadn't said a single word about it to her. She wanted to say every word again, but as she looked at her reflection, she decided against it. Who would fall for an ugly and horrible monster like her anyway?

The door suddenly opened, snapping Maki out of her thoughts. Kaito stepped into the room, carrying a tray with two plates full of food on it. He smiled a little at seeing Maki. She seems a little more refreshed, but she still seemed shaken up by what had happened. Maki smiled a little back before she quickly went back to her hair. She fumbled at it, trying to braid it. She needed a change anyway.

"Need a hand?" Kaito grinned as he placed the tray on the small table in the room. Maki didn't answer as Kaito stepped behind her. He split the hair into three equal sections and worked to braid it. Maki couldn't help but blush a little. She relaxed as she felt Kaito's hands gently brush on the back of her neck and as he braided her hair.

"When did you learn how to do this?" She asked, fighting to keep the blush down.

"I had to do it for Kaede once." Kaito smiled as he tied off the braid. The tie was a few inches away from the end of Maki's hair and the braid almost made her hair seem a few inches shorter than it actually was. "Huh. That actually suits you better. Not too bad if I say so myself." Maki couldn't hold back a smile as he said that. It would certainly keep her hair out her way a little more, and a little less knotty after a long day. Smiling himself, Kaito offered Maki a plate that housed a steak pie and some baked potatoes. She smiled a little as a "thank you" and started eating. Kaito did the same, sitting on a chair at the opposite side of the room. However, it was starting to become difficult to eat. They tried to, but after everything that had happened, they weren't sure if they were as hungry as they thought they were. They kept going, wanting to recover from the lack of food from the last few days.

After a while, Kaito almost finished his food completely, which surprised him a little. He absentmindedly looked up at Maki. She had stopped eating, leaving at least half of her food untouched. She was clearly too disturbed by what had happened to her to eat.

"Are you okay?" Kaito asked for another time this evening.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Maki sighed, dismissing the question again. She wasn't fine. And Kaito knew that. He's not going to give up until she opens up to him.

"That's not gonna happen. I'm always gonna be worried about you." He said, standing firm with his choice.

"Well you shouldn't be, you damn idiot!" Maki suddenly shouted, glaring at Kaito. She truly wanted him to back off from what he was trying to do. Kaito's face was stoic. He was unfazed by her outburst. Maki's glare was wavering. She buried her face in her hands, unable to stare at him. The horrifying image of his dull, paralysed face was the only thing that stared back at her. The touch of his cold hand in hers as he laid unconscious still lingered. Just the thought of nearly losing the one person she let in, will never leave her until the day she dies.

Kaito was no different. Seeing all those girls and what had happened to them was still as fresh as morning dew haunted him. Just the thought of that happening to Maki, and knowing how close she was to death would plague him forever. And that...monster. The one in human form. He was going to kill Maki, just as he had done to all those innocent girls. He didn't know why, Maki refused to tell him, but he knew that the man was sick. While he regretted killing the man at first, he now felt a sickening sense of satisfaction. He doesn't know where it came from, or why. It was just there. Maybe it's because he saved Maki? Or maybe because he stopped it from happening to anyone else? Either way, he never wanted to feel that way again.

Kaito suddenly thought of something. He didn't know if it would work or not, but he wanted to try to cheer Maki up a little. And hopefully get her to open up to him. Kaito gently pulled Maki to her feet. Before she could ask what he was doing, he gently placed her hands on his shoulders. Maki fought hard to suppress her blush as he placed his hands on her waist, pulling her a little closer to him.

"What are you doing?" She asked, trying not to stutter.

"What's it look like I'm doing? Dancing." Kaito smiled confidently as he started to sway a little, making Maki move with him.

"But-" Maki tried to protest, but it was weak.

"Don't think. Just dance." Kaito continued to smile. Maki looked like she wanted to try again to protest, but she didn't. She just moved along with him. The dance wasn't graceful or anything like that. It was a little sloppy, both of them exhausted and unsteady with their steps. However, they kept going, both of them finding comfort in one another. Maki, feeling more tired, placed her head on Kaito's chest. She listened to his heartbeat, reassuring herself that she was still breathing and Kaito was holding her like this. She was a little confused however as she heard the heartbeat speed up a little. Why would Kaito be nervous? He had no reason to.

"Are you sure that you're okay?" Kaito finally asked again. Maki caved. She knows that resisting this stubborn idiot was useless at this point.

"I don't know. Maybe tomorrow." She muttered, trying hard to not look up at him. However, Kaito gently lifted her chin up, causing her to look up at him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked again, looking at her with kind and concerned eyes. He didn't know if Maki was going to tonight. If she doesn't want to say anything, then he won't force her to. Maki didn't say anything for a minute, but she finally nodded. Kaito gave her a sad smile. He finally started getting through to her.

This night was definitely going to be a long one.