Chapter 4: Time To Run

Sorry this one took a while. DAMN YOU WRITER'S BLOCK!!!

Enjoy 😁

Who does this idiot think he is?!

That was all Maki could think about at that moment. To say that she was a little annoyed at him would be an understatement. First, he kisses her without permission; second, he treats her injuries as if she had never threatened him in the first place; next, he treats her like she was just like everybody else, which she isn't and finally, he's risking his own life to save hers without so much as a second thought. Kaito isn't even seeing how much danger he was putting himself in right now. He somehow thinks that he's suddenly this white knight in shining armour trying to protect a damsel in distress. This is stupid! If people found out about this, the idiot is going to have hell to pay!

Kaito led her away from the house and towards a small stable that he had. He was moving as swiftly as he could. He pulled Maki along so much that for a moment she thought that her both of her feet were hovering above the ground for a second. Despite his hurried state, he tried his best to not aggravate her wounds. It seemed surreal for her to be in a situation like this. Maki risked a glance back up at the house. The guards had just reached it. So far, the pair hadn't been noticed sneaking out. It won't be long until they realise that the house was vacant. Maki looked at the stable. Maybe Kaito wanted to try to hide her more obscurely. She could probably hide well enough in the hay.

"Hope you don't mind bareback riding." Kaito suddenly announced as they entered the coolness of the stable. It wasn't very large, more than enough to hold at least two horses. Dust from the hay hung in the air, almost making Maki sneeze. The scent of horses and hay overloaded her nostrils, making it difficult for her to make any other scents out. A set of doors at one end, possibly leading to where fresh straw and food for the animals would be. A pitch fork and broom were tucked away in a corner. Kaito let go of Maki's hand. That's when his words had set in. He wasn't planning on hiding her. Either he was going give her a horse, or worse, escape with her.

"Morning, boy." Kaito smiled a little as he opened up a gate. Maki watched curiously as a black stallion with a white diamond shaped patch on its head poked out to greet him. "Come on, Taurus. Yeah I know, out of routine. I'll pay you back big time I promise." Kaito led the horse out, much to the animal's clear annoyance. Without hesitating, Kaito jumped onto Taurus's back and offered Maki a hand. Risking a glance to make sure no one was coming, Maki hesitantly took it. Without waiting for an invitation, Kaito hoisted her up, making sure that she was settled behind him. Maki hesitated, but wrapped her arms around Kaito's waist to make sure that she didn't fall off. Kaito gently encouraged Taurus to walk forward, making them creep out from the stable. He risked a glance at his childhood home. He wished that he didn't have to leave it behind, but he needs to get Maki as far away as he can. Seeing that they were safe for now, Kaito encouraged his horse to start trotting. If the guards haven't searched the village yet, or just finished, maybe Kaede and Shuichi will be able to help them hide until it was clear.

"Anyone see us?" Kaito asked, keeping his eyes on what was ahead of him.

"They just forced their way inside." Maki stated. She continues to watch the house carefully. Three guards and one Monokuma went inside. One of the guards suddenly came out, holding Maki's cloak. Shit! How could she have forgotten it?! Her internal panic rose when the guards suddenly spotted them, pointing and shouting for the others. "They've seen us!"

"Come on, Taurus! Just a little faster, buddy!" Kaito urged, encouraging the horse to gallop as fast as he could. The wind that was created swept right through them, causing Maki's hair to almost replicate a flag. Both riders kept as steady as they could on Taurus without the aid of a saddle or bridle. Taurus rushed down the road as fast as his legs could carry him. They got to the small village in at least two minutes. Stalls were in the process of selling for the morning and most of the people were already out to get what they needed or what they wanted to sell. As they rushed past, people cussed Kaito out, yelling at him to slow down his horse. Kaito ignored all of them. He scanned the streets carefully, guiding Taurus to where they needed to go. Taurus's hooves pounded on the cobblestones as the horse tried to avoid tripping. Maki kept holding on tight to Kaito, keeping her face practically buried into his back. She wanted to make sure that no one saw her face. Kaito kept on looking ahead. Everything seemed like a blur to him as Taurus raced down the streets. He wasn't that concerned as he knew where he was going.