Chapter 21: Dark Days

I don't know what I did to deserve it, but THANK YOU FOR THE 600+ READS!!!

Art credits to @tapotapoyaki on Twitter.

This chapter might get emotional. If any of you are susceptible to tears, please grab a box of tissues now.

"How long does he have?"

"Young man, I don't think-"

"Doc, please. My grandfather is the closet thing that I have to a dad."

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing that I can do. He'll be lucky enough to live until tomorrow."

Those words didn't help to lift Kaito's spirits. He noticed that his grandfather had taken a sudden bad turn about a week ago now. The old man was too stubborn to go see a doctor. He believed that he was going to be okay. However, while he was helping to plant the crops for the fall, Kaito found his grandfather had collapsed on the ground. He carried his grandfather into the house and immediately raced to the village on Taurus's back. He got to the village and grabbed the doctor as fast as he could. He and his grandmother had to wait for nearly two full hours to get the diagnosis. Unfortunately it was worse than they had hoped. Kaito allowed his grandmother to see her husband one last time, knowing that their last moments together will have to count for them both.

When the doctor left after Kaito had paid him, Kaito's grandmother shuffled towards him. Kaito's heart broke when he saw her face. Tear stains marked her face and her eyes seemed to have lost their shine. Her form was sagging from all the weight that her emotions carried. Kaito wanted nothing more than to wrap his arms around her.

"Kaito, he wants to see you." She said, her voice heavy with the grief that was to come.

"Are you-" Kaito started to ask, rubbing her shoulders comfortingly.

"I'm fine. Please go talk to him." His grandmother interrupted, gently prying his hands off of her. Kaito quickly gave her a small peck on the head. As he crept up the stairs, he could hear his grandmother crying again. He wanted so badly to comfort her, but he wanted to say one last goodbye to her husband. It took everything Kaito had to not break down as he saw his grandfather. His skin was as white as a sheet. He was shaking despite two extra blankets covering him. His breath was shallow. His life was slowly fading away. Kaito silently approached him, and gently held his grandfather's hand in both of his as he sat down on the chair next to the bed. Kaito held back a hiss as he felt how cold the elder's hand had suddenly become. The old man looked at Kaito, his face becoming serious despite his weakened state.

"Kaito, I want you to promise me something." He wheezed, looking Kaito sharply in the eyes. Despite his weakened state, the stubborn old man was determined to keep hanging on.

"Anything Grandpa." Kaito said, struggling to keep his voice strong. He can't break down. Not now.

"Keep your grandmother going for me. She's going to need you." Kaito's grandfather said, his own voice starting to waver a little. He let go of Kaito's hand as both of his slowly pulled a bronze pendent off of his neck. "More importantly, keep this safe. It was your father's, it has been passed down our family for generations." Kaito gently took the pendent from his grandfather. He had seen it only a few times when he was small. He had honestly forgotten that his grandfather had it.

"I promise Grandpa! And a man always keeps his word!" Kaito smiled, trying to make it as bright as he could as he slipped the pendent around his neck. He felt pride as he wore it.

"That's my boy. You're so much like your father. He'd be so proud you. I just know it." His grandfather smiled too. However, his face suddenly turned serious as he grabbed Kaito's hand with almost impossible strength. "But there is more to our family than you know." More to the family? It's true that Kaito didn't know everything about his family, his parents for starters. However something told Kaito that the elder meant more than that.