36

Evelyn sat inside her parents carriage, arms crossed over her chest. She stared out the window, watching the scenery fly by her as they moved. The sun had begun to set, her birthday was nearly over. It was essentially all spend with Amelia, who sat across from her, reading silently. Not once did she see any of her other family. Will and the children didn't stop by with whatever surprise they were planning. She couldn't figure why they never came by or what they were doing. Could the surprise be a day to herself with her mother? She didn't know.

"You're still wondering what the surprise is?" Amelia spoke suddenly, snapping Evelyn out of her thought.

Looking to the older woman, she stared at her in confusion. "You mean it still hasn't happened yet?" Now her curiosity grew.

A soft chuckle came from Amelia as she closed her book. "No, my darling, it hasn't." She looked to her daughter with a gentle expression. "And if it had, was spending the day with me all that terrible?" Amelia wasn't hurt by asking the question; she sounded rather humorous.

Evelyn gave a small, bashful smile. "No, I didn't mean it that way."

"I know, I know." Amelia nodded, opening up her book again. "A part of you is a bit upset your family wasn't there with you for most of the day." To know Evelyn like the back of a hand was Amelia or Will. Sometimes it scared her how well they knew her and her mind. "Don't worry, Evelyn. The day isn't over and from the looks of the surprise, it won't be for awhile." She cooed reassuringly, eyes still glued on the page she was reading.

Furrowing her brow, Evelyn hesitantly looked back out the window. What did that mean? Even if she asked out loud, she wouldn't get an answer. The best things in life came unexpected. She had to relax and have confidence in whatever Will was planning, it was going to be wonderful. Every year he planned something incredible. And when she expected the same level of perfection, he always outdid himself.

She smiled to herself thinking of the things Will has surprised her in the past. The idea of her birthday never struck her much. She never cared for it. Will always did. He always made sure to make her feel special whether it was her birthday or everyday. It was part of the reason she fell in love with him.

The carriage pulled to a stop, bringing Evelyn out of her thought. It stopped right before the steps of her house. Suspicion circled around her mind, scrunching her brows close. It was quiet outside.

Too quiet.

Evelyn climbed out the carriage, staring at the front door. When Amelia came to her side, she looked to her, searching for any kind of clues. Her mother's face remained poker. "Come on." She said casually, walking up the steps.

Glancing around, Evelyn hesitated before following up after her. The gold colored gown was bunched up in Evelyn's hands. It was a gift from Amelia. As soon as she entered her parents home, a box was greeted to her just as she sat to eat breakfast. It was a perfect shade that made her strawberry blonde hair glow such a vibrant color.

Even now as the colors of the day turn into a crisp warm evening, all Evelyn seemed to do in her new gift was glow.

The front door opened by Martin, who muttered a quiet welcome to the two women. Together they slipped inside the empty foyer. It was far too quiet in Evelyn's lively household. The silence was almost too loud that it hurt her ears.

Her brows furrowed together. "Where is everyone?" She looked around the candle lit areas, eyes landing on her mother. Amelia didn't answer. Instead, she began to walk through the drawing room, down the hall that lead to the backdoor. "Mama?" The name was laced with suspicion and hesitation. Evelyn followed after her mother while looking in each part they past for any sign of anyone. Down the dark hall, the two hurried by the candles, curious if their movements would blow them out.