Faked Death

Natasha forces me to stand up and hands me off to Steve so he can help get me down from this SUV.  We have pulled up to a building after escaping the other SUV with Agent Hill. I still haven't said a word and they are practically babying me. We walk to enter a gate-like door. 

"Where are we?" Steve asks Hill as we walk further into the dark, old building. 

"You'll see," Hill vaguely says. She opens up one of those curtains you see in medical wings at hospitals. 

I stare at the man laying down on the bed. My blood is boiling because all this time I thought he was dead. 

"About damn time," Fury sits up as I glare at him, too mad to be shocked. I make way to his bedside and he looks at me. I put my hand up and smack him hard across the face. "I deserved that."

"Yes, you did," I say something finally. 

"Did she just smack Nick Fury?" Natasha whispers at Steve as I walk back to stand beside the two. 

"Yes, she did," Steve whispers back, a small smirk of proudness plastered on his face. 

"Lacerated spinal column, a cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache," Fury tells us all of the injuries he faced from being shot multiple times by the man we know now is my older brother. 

"Your heart stopped," Natasha points out. 

"Tetrodotoxin B," Fury says. "Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress."

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve asks him. "Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the Director's life had to look successful," Hill explains. 

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," Fury says. "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust?"

"You couldn't trust me?" I scoff, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"I trust you," Fury tells me. "But, I know that you never lie to him," He nods toward Steve.

~~~~~

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," Fury tells Steve, Natasha, Sam, and me as he holds up a picture of Alexander Pierce at a table. "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility."

"Sounds like bullshit to me," I mutter from my seat. 

"Agent Barnes," I look up at Fury. "They told me The Winter Soldier is your brother and I know these times will be tough. But, I need you here not as his little sister, but as my agent."

"Copy that, sir," I feel Steve's burning gaze on me. "That man isn't my brother."

"Good," Fury leans back into his chair. 

"We need to stop the launch," Natasha informs us. 

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury says. 

"Once the helicarriers reach three-thousand feet," Hill begins to explain, turning a computer screen to us. "They'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized."

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury adds. 

"We need to link all three carriers for this to work," Hill says, opening a metal briefcase with three server blades inside of it. "Because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"That would be bad," I comment, knowing very well that it is not necessary. But, it will also prove to them that I am returning to my old self. 

"We have to assume everyone on those carriers are HYDRA," Fury informs us. "We have to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe we can salvage what's left."