35. New years eve pt. 1

*a/n: I broke this chapter into two parts, it didn't feel right putting it all together . Lately my usual six thousand word chapters haven't really been convincing me and I've felt a bit insecure about the transitions in them, So tomorrow night part two will be posted. - Ren <3*

"Are you sure about this? We could wait until-" Alex stood at the end of the hospital bed, but you didn't have to read her expression to know she was hesitant.

"We can't prolong it any further." You interrupted. You sat up leaning against Flip's chest. "You can't afford to be biased, not now." Flip placed his hand carefully on your shoulder and planted a kiss on your shoulder blade to comfort you.

Her mouth tightened into a line, exchanging looks with Emily. "Alright well let's start with the obvious, did she ever mention anything about a safe place?"

"She barely spoke to me, she only spoke to me when he made her. She barely looked at me in the eye." You answered, you took a deep breath.

"Why exactly would he make her?" Emily asked, taking a step closer to you.

"To punish her." You held on to Flip's hand to anchor you. "James believed everything he did was to punish them. He believed he was doing what was best. It all linked to his upbringing. As well as the loss of his wife and daughter." You explained your mind kept flashing back to his confession, each word he spoke he'd pull you closer to his body.

"You're okay, now." Flip spoke quietly, you didn't realize that you were trembling.

"Yea, I'm fine." Trying to convince everyone around you.

"We weren't able to find information on that, not even names." Alex's voice almost cracked. "We couldn't even find his information."

"He was tech savvy." You answered, "when they took me, there was a monitor in the front-" recalling one of the few times you'd be somewhat conscious. "Almost like a police car but a van... I didn't notice it the first time but it was after the glass." You tried to recall any other memory but you couldn't.

"It's okay, you're doing good. Let's move on, what were their names?" Emily asked with a soft voice.

"Judith and Ruth... he told me about them. H-He even would call me Ruth." You furrowed your brows.

"What do you mean?" Alex asked you. She tried reading your expression. She wasn't sure if you felt sympathetic towards him or you were trying to shield yourself.

"Every time he'd strangle me, he'd see how long I'd last and almost every time he would say Ruth under his breath. I thought she could've been an old lover but with the way he'd treat me, that didn't make sense." You tried to think like you were on the case instead of the victim.

"You profiled him." Alex gave you an encouraging look.

"I tried too. Each time I was close, he'd leave and send her in." You told them.

"Where would he go? Would he say?" Emily asked, you shook your head.

"No. It was dark, I'd only be able to see him if he was close. If I couldn't see him, I'd hear his boots." You could feel Flip tense up behind you.

"Flip? Could you give us a minute? We need to conduct a cognitive interview." Emily told Flip.

Flip looked over to you, to make sure you were comfortable with it. You nodded and mouthed 'it's ok' to him. "I'll be right outside," he smiled at you. "Love you," he whispered to you. You smiled at him as you said it back.

Alex and Emily politely stepped to the side to let Flip walk by. They tried to give you a reassuring look but failed the moment Flip shut the door.