Chapter 6: Telepathy, Tattoos, & Jealously

I took a deep breath, exhaled, the nodded. There was no fear- just acceptance. This was it, this was what was happening. I was the twin. 

For some reason, I feel a twinge of relief, as I slowly cover my tattoo once more. I make sure that the words don't peek over my shirt collar, smoothing the bunched fabric. I cleared my throat and left the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. Everyone was milling about, pulling their collars down and sharing tattoos. Chuck was walking about, but smiled when seeing me, and made his way over.

"Hey Marie, what's your tattoo?" was the first question out of little Chuck's mouth as he waddled up, smiling brightly. His collar was pulled down to reveal in thick letters, CHUCK: THE DEFEATER. I smiled at the boys foolish sense of self importance from his tattoo. His eyes shone brighter than they have in a long time.

I shifted my weight, pressing my foot into the carpet nervously.

"My tattoo says the Glue's Glue," I told him, which was technically only half true.

I'm not lying to him- I'm just not telling him my whole tattoo. Chuck grinned once more, showing off much of his still attached baby teeth.

Late- bloomer, he is, I jokingly thought, tilting my head towards Minnie. She doesn't turn to me, or even acknowledge my telepathy. I give a frown and watch as Chuck glanced away, and turn to face Minnie fully. Minnie? Can you hear me?

Who is this?  Another voice demanded as an answer. It was a male's voice. I paused, then slowly looked over to see Aris, from the other side of the room, staring at me. His hand slipped from where he was holding down his collar and he blushed, eyes wide.

I don't respond, only stare at him from across the room. We remain standing there, watching each other in disbelief. 

What in the world?

"Um.. Marie? Why are you guys staring at each other like you just feel in love?" Chuck said. I shook my head, and Aris did the same.

"He can do it too." I said softly. Chuck stared at me with a confused expression across his childlike features. 

"Do what?" he asked

"Talk through his mind to me as well!" I exclaimed, as if I was upset about it. The high pitch of my voice made Chuck cringe a bit, and I blushed in embarrassment. Minnie turned this time, raising an eyebrow. 

"Marie, what are you on to?"

My mouth moved, but no words came out. Then I pointed to Aris, who seemed to get my message. He looked directly at Minnie, his wide blue eyes narrowing in concentration. There's silence from the nearby Gladers watch them speak. Then Minnie broke away.

"How can you do that?" she asked.

"I was able to do it with my telepathic partner, so I guess it works with you guys too," Aris shrugged.

"Problem solved." A Glader said, causing a few to snicker.

"Alright shanks, enough talking." Minho said as he walked into the room, clapping his hands. "Let's get some rest, huh? Then tomorrow, we can start trying to find ways out of here." 

"Well, wait a minute, how do you know it's nighttime?" Sammantha said from the bottom bunk, tilting her head. 

Minho paused, looked back at her grimly, then looked at the brick windows. 

"We don't... All we can do is guess." 

... 

"Marie?"