Chapter Twenty One: Missing Hands, Explosions, and Nose Bumping

Hey Shanks, sorr I haven't updated in a while, I was on vacation! It was soooo fun. And now school has to come ruin it. *sad face x10000* Anyways, yes (!) action is finally going to happen in this book, and it all begins here, in this chapter, so brace yourselves!

Liam's POV

Chapter Twenty One

I lean against the wall, breathing out a harsh, hot breath while the can of beans rests in my hands, before my mouth curls into a grin, tilting my head back and slapping the bottom of the can, causing the last of the beans to topple into my mouth. Chewing, I look back forward, at the people across from us, Minho and Leo, who are too busy eating to talk, much less acknowledge each other. We're like pigs when we're hungry. Angry oinking at each other until we get food and being content with large, bulbous stomachs stretching our shirts out. There's a few voices that drift around in the air, those conversation from Gladers who have finished eating. I look up as a figure nears, their shadow stretching over my face.

It's Lola. I repress a sigh. She hasn't left my side since we entered the cave.

She was right though. "Eliza" is scared out of her mind, pacing back and forth and helping Cranks unload more food every now and then. Across the hall from me, Minho stirs and stands up, and walks off, and plops next to Thomas and Logan, talking to them in hushed voices I cannot hear. It doesn't bother me if I'm being held away from group plans. I will just go with the flow. When I was in the spotlight before, with Roxie and everything, it was weird and I felt like the fate of the group was rested on my shoulders.

I have a feeling Minho likes that feeling. The feeling of control over those he loves.

Lola slides down the wall next to me, placing another can in my lap. "Quick, hide it in your shirt." She whispers, her breath hot against my ear. I would wrinkle my nose and do as she said, the cool, sleek metal smooth against my skin. She'd then open her can of beans by sticking her knife into the lid and prying it open, causing a few beans to slide down the edge of the can and onto the grimy floor.

My nose finds itself wrinkling once more.

"You're not supposed to have seconds. You're welcome. Act like it's your first can." Lola whispers once she had jabbed a bean with her knife and placed it between her teeth, sucking it into her mouth.

"People have seen me eating.." I respond, but shortly after would  be prying my second can open, the hunger was overwhelming. Lola smiles in seeing me do so before jumping onto her feet. Most of the Gladers have become restless after they had finished eating, shifting and twisting in their seats on the floor. Jorge was propped against the wall, paying no attention to this and eating a sandwich.

The world was still and quiet, and we were all content and eating.

Suddenly, as if WICKED had decided this moment of peace was too much to handle, the world above us shakes and goes black.

*Minnie's POV*

"Liam's out, he's dead to the world!" A random girl voice shouts, not my sisters, says, shaking his body. Breathing heavily, we continue to run while I feel my lungs actually depleting to the size of raisins, my whole body shaking in fear and confusion, fumbling my way around in the dark. I can only sense hear the girl but sense about four forms fumbling around with us as we run down the hallway. There's a dragging sound then a thump, and two forms disappear as I continue running.