Chapter Sixteen: "We're Cranks."

Author's note; hey guys have I thanked you lately for reading my story? No? WELL THANK YOU, SHANKS! On another hand, the cutie you see in the media slot is LAMAR! He's so cute, I'm sorry. Any Lamar fans here?

ChapterSixteen
Marie.

        I liked the sound of sharing a blanket with somebody, even if it means my eye sight will probably fizzle out from the shear .. whiteness of the blanket itself against the sun. or that I can only focus my sight on the city that lay ahead, where Minho calculated would be about 30 miles. And the mountains after that would be another 30 or 40. Thomas gave him some slack about the estimates, but Minho wouldn't take any of it.

        I look back at the group, who are splitting up and finding partners. I walk over to Minnie, but Minho's hand is already connected with hers, so I back off. I can feel sun burn already forming on the back of my neck from the absence of the blanket. I pull it over my head. Looking for a partner.

        It was almost not surprising when I saw the pairs. Leo and Teddy, Lamar and George, Minnie and Minho, Samm and Logan (even though Logan didn't look too enthusiastic.). I feel a hand wrap around my waist from behind, but I don't freak out. I know who it is.

        "Hello Marie." he smiles into my hair, pulling the blanket over himself as well. "We are not walking like this."

        "I bloody know that." He says, kissing my ear. OH ear kisses. That's new.

        I grab his hand and he starts to move to stand next to me. "Everybody paired up?" Minho says, turning to face everyone. "Good that." he says.

        Within an hour, my feet start hurting. I'm also the one carrying the pack, considering I didn't want to let Newt, with his limp and all, take the blunt in the beginning. Though he seems to be doing well, keeping with the group. He hasn't complained once. Right now, he's talking about what might lay ahead, and the pair of Gladers next to us are listening. I'm not too interested. Anything that has to do with the future besides our goal makes my head hurt.

        Testing, one two..three! UREKA. Aris' voice booms in my head. just in curiosity, I turn to look at Aris, who looks back at me with a wait that really worked face. Minnie, who is in the front of the group with Minho, tenses up, her movements becoming more rigid.

        Aris.. I think you broke a eardrum. Bloody hell. Oh God. I'm picking up Newt's habits. Saying bloody all the time.

        There's a childish giggle. Aris is actually just a kid putting on a tough mask. Minnie hasn't said anything. I'll stop.

        Newt looks at me. I turn to look at him. I grin.

        if possible, the sun has bleached his hair slightly in the past few hours, making him look godly. His nose is a little sun burnt at the tip, and sand coats his clothing. Yet his eyes stare back at me with absolute love and protectiveness. Only then do i realize he's been alert, always looking for threats. are these actions for us, or is it always how he is since the maze?

        I haven't thought of the Maze in forever, it brings back memories. Some happy, some too painful to remember. Newt and I, with out first kiss. Making flower crowns. Meeting Lamar after getting stuck in the Maze. Minnie becoming a runner. George finding his voice.