{Chapter Twelve} Lying isn't good for the heart.

I don't feel so good anymore. I stagger to the left until I smack into a wall, my head banging against it. Even though it's already dark, I can see my vision darken at the edges, making the seemingly dark even darker.

        Chuck's dead. It's all my fault. I don't deserve to go on. Chuck should be the one going on. My sense of hearing comes back in an instant, my head exploding with screams and shouts of confusion. Nobody knows what happened except me.

        Hands grasp my shoulders and lift me up into a hug. I breath in the smell of Newt. "Found you." he whispers. How he saw me in this darkness makes me wonder if WICKED has messed with his brain, giving him sight, but I just realize he saw my silhouette. I sob into him, allowing him to lift me up and carry me into the middle. He holds on to me so I don't fall, but my legs are shaking.

        "He didn't deserve it!" I gasp and he strokes my hair, smoothing it down and whispering to me, "Marie.. Marie.. shhhh."

        "I should have died back there." How he can hear me above this confusion makes me wonder once again. I can feel his hair rubbing against my forehead as he tilts my chin up so I can face him. We're nose to nose.

        "No, everything happens for a reason." he says. I start to cry again. "I hate this already. I want to go back. I want to die so I can forget all of this."

        "Dying wouldn't help anybody!" Newt says. He shakes me, and I sob harder. He stops and his hands slide up to my face, cupping it. "Marie, listen to me!"

        I fling my arms around him and push my lips onto his to shut him up. His hands slide down to my hips. "Okay, I believe you, but that doesn't make me feel better." I say.

        He nods, and we pull away. Minho is trying to keep it calm. "GUYS! SHUT UP!" I shout, and it works. Everyone starts to calm down. I don't want to look to see where Thomas is. He must be a mess.

        "What did he tell you, Marie?" Minho says. I try not to cry again, but I silently thank WICKED it's all dark in here.

        "He told me.... he wanted to stay back."

        I lied.

        *

        I've lost track of time. I'm jogging down the hall, my free hand sliding against the wall. All I can see is darkness. My other hand is gripping the bag of water so it doesn't fall and spill. I don't know where everyone is, we just spread apart in some kind of unspoken agreement to make sure none of us fall over each other. I can hear their panting and footsteps, but any conversation is quiet and whispered.

        It has to have been at least two hours since Chuck's death, and I've been using this time to thing back to everything that has happened. We have to reach daylight. That's a priority. My mind goes dizzy every time I try to think beyond that.

I keep hearing childish whispers. What? Turn, now, sliced. It's all I can hear. I start to slow and so do some other Gladers. "Do you hear that?" I hear Sammantha shout out. Now we've all halted to a stop. There's silence.

        Stop. Turn back now, or you will get sliced. The word "sliced" trails off into childish laughter. 

        There are no children with us.

        A/N: Yaaaayyyy short chapters. Maybe I Can get you guys into some suspense.