Chapter 1

What at a waste of such a beautiful day, I thought to myself while I stayed at the upper terrace of the restaurant, leaning on the edge of the balcony while glancing at the landscape of the city.

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and the sun was already fading away. Late August, right when you start to feel the scent of the grapes coming from every house you pass by. Not too warm, not cold either, not too rainy and not too windy. The perfect weather. Not to mention, the insects were starting to slowly disappear. I used to hate that part of the year when I was a kid because it meant the school was starting, but now I just loved it. It felt like the whole planet was calming down after the rush and the heat of the summer.

Right next to the restaurant where the wedding was held, there was a house that had a vineyard. I took a deep breath to inhale the scent that flew in the air, and I almost felt the flavor of the grapes on my tongue.

It's often the little things the ones that bring joy to our lives, even if just for a little while, I thought. But why we kept spending most of our lives doing something we didn't like - like going to certain events just because "we had to" - was beyond my understanding. I took a deep sigh, assigning my philosophical mood to the wine I drank earlier and went back inside, encouraging myself that I was only supposed to bear the rest of the wedding for just a few hours longer.

"Hey, where've you been?" My friend, Maria, the bride, asked me when I returned to my table.

"Just to get some fresh air," I replied politely, when honestly I had to go out to take a break because I just couldn't take the cheap subjects the people I shared the table with had - they kept complaining about the food, the music, judging other people's outfits and so on. Life is too short for cheap and meaningless conversations. Why couldn't people just be happy for the nearly weds and stop complaining about everything?

"So how are you, Diana, I haven't got time to chat with you yet, it's been crazy in here, are you okay, everything alright?" she asked, taking advantage of the fact that all the other people from my table were on the dance floor, so it gave the two of us the chance to catch up a little.

Maria was a close friend from college, but we hadn't talked to each other in quite a while. And now that she had just moved back to the city, she didn't miss the chance to invite me to her wedding.

Since we hadn't kept in touch in a long time, our circle of friends had dissipated, so except for her and her husband, Jacob, I didn't know anyone else out of the flock of more than two hundred that were invited.

I had always hated attending events where I didn't know anyone, because somehow I always felt that I didn't belong there, in the midst of those strangers.

I had the same feeling right then and there at Maria's wedding, and the thought of me wasting my time (and my money) crossed my mind again.

"So how is your love life nowadays?" Maria interrogated me eager to find out new things about me. I figured being seated at a singles table would make that question redundant, but nevertheless, I replied to her that I'm not seeing anyone at the moment.

"Nonsense, I'm gonna hook you up with someone here," she said, winking at me, and then she started to search the crowd with her gaze as if looking for a suitable candidate.

I started laughing, and I told her, "You sound like my mother!" and she started to laugh as well.

"Now, seriously, Didi," she said, adopting a serious tone, "you're gonna find a nice guy, I'm sure!" she assured me, patting my hand and rushing back to the dance floor.

Not here, no, I'm not, I thought and went to the restroom to freshen up.

I looked in the mirror and admired my powder pink dress. It was a midi bodycon lace dress, with elbow-length sleeves and a wide neckline. I arranged my hair a little, reapplied my nude lipstick, and then went back to the party, making my way to the bar to get a cocktail.

As the bartender fixed me my drink, I watched the other people dancing, but my attention was drawn to the table in the corner where I caught a glimpse of someone sitting there.

I directed my look to that corner and saw a man standing alone at the table while watching the dancers just like I was. Somehow, he didn't fit in that picture. Maybe because he was the only one not dancing and not even displaying a good mood (pretty much like me). Everyone else was enjoying the party, but he stayed really calm on his seat.

He was probably in his thirties, I estimated, he had dark brown hair, brushed back and shorter on the sides, short full beard and a very neatly arranged haircut. He wore an elegant black suit, and quite frankly, he seemed really elegant. He seemed like he was from a different scenario, somehow.

I let out a smirk of admiration at the corner of my mouth, realizing I actually found him attractive. Finally, someone interesting here! I thought and thanked God, and whoever invented alcohol, for giving me the courage to take the glass in my hand and start making my way over there. Since we were both isolated in that restaurant, I figured it was an appropriate moment to go start a conversation with him, but as I took my drink, Maria rushed to me and realizing my intention, she stopped me from proceeding with it.

"Oh, no-no-no-no!" she said, grabbing my arm and leading me to a different part of the saloon.

"What?"

"He's...uh..."

"Taken," I suspected.

"Well, yes... " she confirmed. "He doesn't really like to come to parties or weddings, but he works with my husband so he had to come."

Had to come... Speaking of things we didn't want to do but it wasn't socially acceptable if we didn't.

"Well, at least we have something in common," I muttered.

"Just leave him be," she advised casually and invited me to dance with her and the others.

"I was just trying to go make a conversation, nothing more."

"Leave him be," she repeated and grabbed my arm, leading me to her group.

I thought it was odd that she dragged me away like that, but I didn't make a big fuzz about it.

For the rest of the evening, I darted my gaze towards him a couple of times, and he was still at the table, never leaving the chair the whole evening.

Are you familiar with the saying, 'Be careful what you wish for?' Because apparently, if you just transmit something to the brain, even how brief or senseless or even if you don't even mean it, the brain takes that thought, processes it, and with the help of the Universe, it will make it happen. Sooner or later. Especially if you get fixated on it. And I could say from personal experience that getting fixated on something never led to any good. But sometimes I just couldn't help it.

So, I went home that night with only one thought on my mind:

I wish I had met that man...

I didn't know it at that moment, but the universe was already working on that.

-----

*Bebe Rhexa - Meant to be ft. Florida Georgia Line*