Chapter 32

My rent was due the following day, so suddenly choosing a man over my job didn't feel like such a good idea after all. There had to be a way to keep them both somehow.

When I went back to the office after the meeting I had with Robert, Margaret was waiting eagerly for my feedback. I lied, telling her I was going to need more time because it was going to be a tricky job to convince Robert to purchase that villa. In reality, I had no intention whatsoever to do it.

"I do believe you're going to make it, Diana," Margaret told me. "Men can't think properly when there are hormones involved. So keep seducing him or whatever you're doing, and he'll eventually eat out of your palm. There's no way he won't agree to buy the property you tell him to if you get under his skin."

I waited for my boss to go back to her office so I could roll my eyes.

The thought of leaving the agency and going to search for a new job darted through my head more and more. That way, I could escape from that messy blackmail I was in and continue happily my relationship with Robert. He was never going to find out about it, and it was all going to be perfect.

*****

That weekend, Robert asked me to take Andreya to her grandmother's house because he was at an impromptu business meeting for the whole day. He left me the address and even left me his Kuga (because his other car didn't have a child seat attached), also asking me kindly that I picked him up from work that afternoon, since both his cars were now at my place.

Despite the custody lawsuit, Robert kept taking Andreya to her grandparents every other week, or even more often sometimes, because he said it was important for her to stay with them as well - they were her family, after all. It was a very healthy and mature thinking he had because I personally thought they were a bad influence on the little girl, knowing they hated Robert.

Driving Robert's Kuga made me feel very important somehow. I had a feeling that everyone who saw me at the wheel of that car was looking at me admirably, and I realized once again how much people judged others by appearances.

Andreya's grandparents' house was about an hour's drive from the city, so I enjoyed every minute of it.

Andreya stood quiet in her back seat, I kept glancing at her from time to time through the rear view mirror, but she seemed sulky.

"What's wrong, sweetie? You're upset your daddy is not the one taking you to your grandma?" I asked her.

"No. I'm upset I'm not staying with daddy and with you this weekend," she said, and it was so sweet my heart melted.

"Awww! Your daddy had to work today. But I promise we will pick you up early tomorrow, what do you say?"

"Yeeeey!" she said, and I finally got a glimpse of her cute smile.

"Do you like it at your grandma's?"

"Yes..." she said, not very convincingly.

"What do you like when you're there?"

"I like the food. Grandma makes the best food. And pies," she said happily.

I chuckled.

"What else?"

"She sometimes reads me stories."

"That's very nice. What else?"

I looked through the rear view mirror and saw her shrugging.

"That's it?" I asked.

"Mm-hm. I draw pictures, but she doesn't like them like you or daddy like them."