Chapter 8

I didn't know why I was so tormented about it - Robert was just a client, after all - but somehow, finding out he had a girlfriend made me uneasy.

He was such a handsome man and he seemed like a nice person, so of course he had a girlfriend!

And despite that, I still waited impatiently for him to call me so we could schedule another viewing.

The next house we saw was bigger than the first one, with larger rooms and huge windows - which I, personally, loved.

"This one is a little further from your workplace, but wait until you see the view!" I told him.

The main bedroom's window led to the mountains. It was the same view I enjoyed when I went to get coffee from the gas station.

"Isn't this amazing, or what??" I said, grinning like a kid seeing a beautiful toy for the first time, and then I looked at him to see his reaction.

He smiled, looking somewhat amused, and I knew it was because of my childish cheerfulness rather than because of what he was looking at.

"Sorry, I... really like this view," I explained, realizing I was being too childish. "But, as I said, from this location is really tricky to get to the plant - I mean, it's probably at least 25-30 minutes by car."

"That's not gonna be a problem for me," Robert stated, very sure of himself.

I wondered if he still rode his bicycle during the winter, when it snowed, and it was hazy and icy.

"The only downside about this location is that there's bad reception out here. You'd want to change the antenna or the internet supplier - I'm not sure, I'm not that tech savvy."

"I understand."

"Umm... I've been meaning to ask you... should you decide on any of these properties, what is the method of payment you would choose? Mortgage or...?"

In other words, I asked him indirectly if he could afford it.

"I intend to sell my apartment," he replied very casually.

"Umm... I mean, I don't know how much your apartment is worth, but you'll still going to be a few tens of thousands short."

He looked at me perplexed.

"I know," he said firmly and seemed a little bothered by my condescending comment.

"Alright then. Moving on to the backyard. It's larger on this one. The garage is also bigger - you could actually fit two cars in there, if..." I trailed off thinking that maybe that detail wasn't so important since I never saw him driving. "Aaand - come outside please," I instructed, and he followed me obediently. "This one has a bonus right here," I showed him the gazebo in the back yard.

It was a hexagonal wooden gazebo that had a large wooden table in its middle and benches on each side.

"It's a little old, but with a little varnish and custom-made cushions for the benches, this would look amazing! You could also hang flower pots here," and I showed him the small hooks hanging from its roof. "And do you see this beautiful detail up there?" I said, showing him the beautifully carved wooden pattern that was right beneath the gazebo's roof. "It's so intricate, it's absolutely amazing!" I added while I ran my fingers over the pattern. "This gazebo is my favorite part of this house, I swear!" I confessed joyfully and stepped into the gazebo to take a seat.

He followed me and took a seat on one of the bench across from me.

"Yeah, this is nice," Robert admitted and glanced around, taking in the view.