Chapter 31

When I woke up, it was morning. Probably. The blackout curtains were covering the window and it seemed to be dark outside. It was late October and the sun shone pretty late that time of the year, so I couldn't tell if it was night or early morning. But judging by how well rested I felt, it had to be morning.

I found myself in Robert's bedroom - he most probably carried me last night from the couch. I looked around me in the bed, but he wasn't there, though.

I got out of bed and went to the kitchen. There was no one there, and no one in the rest of the apartment either.

I turned on the light in the living room and found a handwritten note. It said: "I know what you've been up to, I found out about the arrangement with your boss. By the time I come back from work, I want you out of my apartment and out of my life. I can't believe how you tried to trick Andy and I just so that you can get your big fat bonus. I trusted you, and you made a mockery out of my feelings. I never want to see you again. Forget you ever met me. Robert"

My heart stopped when I read that. I felt I had no air and I couldn't breathe anymore. I felt like I was choking, and my vision was blocked by the tears that filled my eyes.

Then suddenly I heard a ringing sound and I woke up gasping remaining on the bed in a seating position while trying to catch my breath.

It was only a nightmare.

Robert turned off the phone's alarm and stroked my back.

"Hey," he whispered to me softly. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I said, rubbing my face strongly with my hands as if trying to shake away the image of the dream I just had.

"Come here, we can snooze for ten more minutes," Robert said and curled up his arm around my torso dragging me slowly back into the bed towards him.

Robert was so caring and his embrace so warm that somehow I felt that I didn't deserve him. If he ever found out about my work 'assignment,' he would definitely hated me forever. I couldn't have lived with myself if that were to happen.

I got up from the bed and went to the kitchen to open the window. I needed some fresh air.

It was still dark outside, and when I cracked the window open, a freezing wave of air came inside.

"Diana..." I heard Robert's voice from the kitchen's entrance. He had probably got out of the bed and followed me after I broke his embrace and left the bed so abruptly.

I kept staring outside, taking in the fresh morning air.

"Are you alright?" he asked me, coming towards me and placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Uhh.... Yeah... I just had a nightmare, that's all."

"You wanna tell me about it?" he asked softly.

"No!" I yelled instantly.

Robert frowned, startled by my reaction.

"I mean, no," I said, composing myself. "Sorry..." I added, shaking my head. "I actually need to go, I have to go get ready for work."

"No problem, I'll put something on and drive you home," Robert offered.

"No, that's fine, I'll go by myself," I protested.

"Your car is at your place," he reminded me.

I had totally forgotten that. But I wanted to go by myself so I could clear up my head a little.

"I'll walk."

"Don't be ridiculous, I'll drive you home," Robert insisted.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he interrupted me.