Chapter 19

First thing in the morning I went to the gas station to get my favorite coffee and to see Victor. I felt like I needed to see a familiar and friendly face.

As I waited for my coffee I received a text.

"I hope you're working on that property sale we talked about."

It was from my boss, Margaret. I couldn't believe she texted me on a Saturday. She never did that before.

I sighed angrily and put my phone back into my back pocket.

"You seem troubled, Diana," were Victor's first words when he saw me.

I wasn't expecting it to be that obvious.

I tried to laugh. "It's nothing, just some stuff at work."

My phone beeped again, and I wondered what Margaret texted me this time.

I unlocked my phone and read the message.

"Morning, Diana. Andy told me you promised her to plant flowers behind the block. She's really excited about that. I'm taking her to her grandmother's house right now. Can you come over to talk when I get back?" Robert wrote to me.

I sighed again, this time thinking about Robert's touch and his kiss, and I wondered if he wanted to talk to me about the previous night or about planting flowers.

"How've you been, Victor?" I said, trying to shift my mind off of Robert for a little while.

"Good, thanks!"

"Did you move in with your girlfriend already?" I asked curiously.

He laughed. "No. I don't wanna rush it."

"Are all men as indecisive?" I asked rhetorically.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing. I just... I think I'm beginning to have feelings for someone, Victor," I confessed. At that point, I felt that he was the only person who could listen to me without judging me.

"Nice! I knew that was coming, ever since you got two coffees that morning," he joked, and I laughed.

"Yes, I'm talking about the man I bought coffee for that morning," I admitted. "We're just friends right now, but somehow, maybe there's more. I think neither of us knows what we want to tell you the truth."

"I don't know, Diana, that sounds complicated," Victor replied. "But, from my point of view, I think he wouldn't keep meeting with you if he didn't want something more from this."

"You think?"

"Yeah, I think as long as he finds you attractive, there's no way he would ever want you to be just his friend. Unless he only wants you two to be friends with benefits."

"That's just cold..." I remarked, and I really hoped that wasn't the case.

Victor shrugged.

"But thanks for your insight. Gotta go now," I said and took my coffee.

"Take care!"

I went outside to my car but didn't get in. I just leaned on its hood and stared at the mountains while I drank the warm and sweet coffee.

I knew I was supposed to reply to Robert's text, and at the same time, I knew I had to do something concerning Margaret's task.

I decided to propose to Robert the idea of showing him one of the houses from Jasmine Alley, only so he can make an idea of that neighborhood, the area, so he could compare to the other properties he saw. There were big, opulent houses on that street, with large backyards, modern architecture, and high-end finishes. They were all wonderful, but I knew that that wasn't what Robert was looking for.