Ch. 37: Slipping Poison Into His Ears

"Lexie-nii, what are you always writing in that journal?" Oz asked me.

"My narrations, thoughts, feelings. Poems, short stories." I responded.

The entirety of the exorcist cram school was currently on a train heading to a temple in a Hokkaido... I believe. I'm still not quite familiar with Japan.

In Russia I did learn to speak Japanese, but the kanji, katakana, and hiragana are still a little hazy to me so I can only barely read the signs.

"Alexie-nii, do you want to be a writer?"

"I most certainly do."

"Then why are you an exorcist?"

"Because Rita didn't teach me swordsmanship just for it to go to waste. I'll make her proud and I'll become Paladin and eventually be one of the future Grigori of the True Cross Russian Branch."

"What about writing?"

"It plays into writing, I can have that as a side job. But I would like to record my journey for the rest of the world to see. Whether its a journal entry, story, novel, or poem."

"Ooooh..."

"Why do you want to be an exorcist?" I asked my minty eyed sister.

She simply smiled down at her sketch book. "I just want to spend time with my family. And also, Whether it be life or death, I want to incorporate it into my art so it can touch others."

"Such a dangerous measure just for the sake of art."

"Not just for art. I want to be here to protect you. And Nee-chan, Rae-nii, Miki-nii and my friends." She said. "Alexie-nii will you write me a poem?"

"Will you paint me a picture?"

Oz grinned at me and nodded happily. "I will."

Lately there's been tension. Ever since the Bo incident, Oz was never the same. She constantly drew pictures of Bo and nothing else, it was always of Bo either smiling or crying.

I asked her about it one day and she said, "The more I draw it the more I realize Bo never had these expressions on her face. Bizarre looking, right? Don't tell her about it though, she'll get angry."

Bo returned to normal and continued ignoring Chris' calls. During the train ride, Bo eventually got tired of it and shut off her phone, took out the battery, and threw it out the window. Which made Oz even more troubled.

And not only that, I felt a growing gap between Air and Rin. Rin always stayed quiet around Air and look the other direction to talk to the guys or remain silent.

This would only momentarily trouble Air, then she would go back and read through a pamphlet that she had and bite her nails in a worrying manner. Air never bit her nails, and I wondered what was on that pamphlet that kept making her reread it.

Once we arrived to our destination, Yukio gave us strict instructions

"This will be your first mission, it's very simple, and very idiot proof so there's no possible way Rin could mess this up."

"Oi!"

"Here in this Buddhist Temple are these demons called Mara—"

"That take of the form of Buddha or Kannon statues and they take advantage of the weaknesses and uncertainties of the human soul." I interrupted.

Yukio nodded at me. "Just as well, they're quite low level demons, but even so they've subdued the entire staff of the temple. Our job today is to exorcise all of the Maras without being lured into their negativity. Which shouldn't be too difficult, a simple reading of a sutra or pistol bullet should be enough to take them down. Be sure to be quick, they can teleport."