Ch. 43: Target

**BO's POV**

I got sent into the counselor's office. I can't say I know the reasoning for this, she out of the blue pulled me out of class. It was Japanese class too, something that I, myself not being native to Japan, particularly struggle with. Japanese writing is still very confusing to me but I get by. It's not like I hadn't done this before, when I was forced to learn to speak and write Russian when my adoptive mother abandoned me there. Though for some reason Russian was easier to learn than Japanese.

I was in her office, she sat in her chair behind her desk and I sat in one right across from.

"Fuck am I doing here, lady?" I asked.

She pushed up her glasses.

"Your Japanese teacher sent me a very unnerving essay that you wrote. Rather, if you want to call it an essay at all."

"She can do that? What about teacher- student confidentiality and all that shit."

"She can if it's something that concerns her." She said. She sifted through her bag and pulled out a piece of paper. "Your Japanese teacher gave you a writing prompt in which you had to write a full essay in Japanese about a time in your life where you were most happiest."

"Yeah? What of it?" I said.

"And you wrote on your paper, in decent Japanese I must say, 'I do not recall a time in my life where I was ever happy.'"

I raised my eyebrow. "And?"

She raised her eyebrow in return, as if it confused her that I thought it was so normal. "It concerns me that you don't consider yourself a happy person, Bonnie. Or rather than you can't even think of one time where you were happy."

"It doesn't concern me lady."

"Do you have any friends, Bonnie?"

"Dunno." I shrugged.

"What type of answer is that?"

"I said I dunno."

"Bonnie..." She said, taking off her glasses and crossing her legs. "Please tell me things. Any things. I want to get to know you better and get to the root of this-"

"You're my counselor, not my therapist."

She put her glasses back on. "Let me ask again. Do you have any friends?"

"I have people I hangout with. Dunno if that's what you call friends."

"Hows your relationship with your family?" She sighed, giving up on the question before.

I snorted. "What family? My adoptive mom was a bitch. My adoptive sister has been whiney and a pain in my ass for as long as I can remember."

"You have a sister?"

"Yeah. Chris."

"You don't get along?"

"That's an understatement. I've been trying to get away from her ever since we started living in Russia. I decided to move to Japan to get away from her and when she decided to come along I applied to True Cross. I knew she wouldn't be able to pass the entrance exams for this rich kid school, she's the dumbest girl alive. Even now that I'm now less likely to run into her I still feel we're too close. It's suffocating."

"How do you think she feels about that?"

"Hell if I care." I shrugged.

"What about your biological parents? Ever met them? Know what they look like?"