Pilot: Trying to win your heart

All my life, I've been trying to win everyone's heart. Kung alam lang nila gaano kahirap kapag yung puso yung may problema. In my case, literally. Second heart ko na 'to. Pero ang hirap pa rin makipagsabayan sa takbo ng buhay.

"Troye, C'mon! You'll be late." the woman shouting is my mom. A strong woman. She's already 50 now. We just celebrated her golden birthday last month. She's maybe thinking about her retirement. But surely, she won't stop curing everyone. Not that I will be surprised, it's her nature.

If my sister's here siguro kasunod na siya ni Mommy na sisigaw. But she's on her honeymoon. Goodluck to Kuya Ian. My sister is also one brave woman. And I'm so proud.

You see? I'm surrounded with powerful women.

I quickened my pace and ran to our garage. I saw my Dad waiting for me inside the car. Nakasimangot na. Our family is never late. Each one of them are so strict with time. But me? I'm an exception. I believe I'm just taking my time. An excuse I like telling myself.

"You need to drive yourself to school now. You're off to college na." My dad is just lazy. He didn't see that well but I took everything from him. All the quirks and the attitude. I'm just glad that the combination of my facial features is a combination of both of my parents kung hindi, baka I'll be the taller version of my father. I'm 5 inches taller than him.

"You know mommy doesn't like me driving." I reminded him. My Ate and I knows how to drive. Dad made sure of that. During college, Ate needs to drive on her own because Kuya Ian, my brother-in-law is busy with his studies. Meaning, wala siyang choice but to drive kasi walang maghahatid sakanya.

"You'll be in college soon. You need to drive. Ako na bahala sa mom mo. What car do you want? Grad gift ko na." He said. And another thing about my father, he's pretty generous Sometimes I'm tempted to ask him to buy me a house and lot for my future family. But Tita Dani told me it is important to get things for yourself.

" I'm fine with Ate's old car." I told him. Sayang naman. I'm sure Ate will buy a new car for her. Or maybe she won't at aasa lang siya kay Kuya Ian to fetch her and drive her to her appointments. Sounds so much like her.

"Are you sure? Then what do you want for your graduation?" I've been thinking about this long enough because I know this day would come. Pero honestly, hindi ko rin alam anong gusto ko.

"Please don't tell me another console or gaming device.Your mother almost killed me for buying you your PS." He added. I chuckled. Mommy's mad that night. But again, Dad's pretty generous. All you have to do is say what you want, and he'll be home the next day with whatever you want. Or sadyang ako nalang talaga ang pinagagastusan ng pamilya ko. My life is pretty simple because of my family.

"How about a yacht, Dad?" I was just joking. Hindi ako marunong magsail. Plus that's too expensive.

"Okay. Noted." He just agreed? I think this time Mom will definitely kill him na talaga. I laughed. Tinignan niya ko saglit.

"What's funny?" He asked focusing now on the road.

"I think that will be the death of you." I tried to say it clear but I'm laughing so hard.

"Your sister's college fund? hindi nagalaw. Akala ko when she went to MIT, magagamit na niya ang pera na inipon namin for her but the girl got a scholarship again. I feel so useless. Kahit kasal niya, sila lang ni Ian nag bayad. Ang tanging ambag lang namin ng Mommy mo eh honeymoon." Napailing siya. He's right tho. That sister of mine is a smartass.

"Eh money naman niya yun, not mine." I defended myself.

"Ateneo and La Salle are trying to get you for track and field as well right?" He reminded me. Assuming na I will be taking the path my sister took.

"Dad, what if I don't wanna go in Ateneo or La salle?" I seriously asked.

"FEU and UST are recruiting you as well. Ikaw na ang bahala pumili."

"How about I go to Enderun and take Entrepreneurship minor in Culinary just like you?" I teased. My dad's a drama king. Matagal na niyang sinasabi na walang magmamana ng The Grid. Because Ate and I are not interested which is really wrong. The Grid has been a good foundation of our family. Yun lang ata ang meron kami.

"Stop joking about it. Hindi ako natutuwa sainyo ng Ate mo pag ganyan ang jokes niyo." He said firmly.

"Dad, to tell you honestly, I'm still unsure. I don't know what course to take. I'm okay with anything. Can you be a bad Father and demand me to take something?" I am hopeful for a minute but I saw how he rolled her eyes.

"Take your time. But if you still want to be unsure, say something to one of the universities recruiting you. Baka mamaya malaman mo nga anong gusto mo, wala ka namang school."

"What if I just want to be me, Dad?" I joked bago pa man ako masapak ng tatay ko, I opened the door and run to my class.

I'm late again.