15

"You didn't say goodbye?" Ate almost shouted. Kinabahan pa ko baka mamaya mapaanak 'to dahil sakin.

"She was so drunk the last time I saw her, tumawag ako even the next day pero hindi pa rin nasagot. So I stopped bugging her."

She really just called because Eli went to the house raw and was so shocked noong sinabi ni Dad na nasa NY na ko.

"Dad said I am allowed to scold you. You piece of—" She paused. I think ayaw niyang magmura because of my future pamangkin.

"I'm not sure if she still want me around, Atchi. I caused a lot of pain na." I seriously said. Tama naman ako diba? I caused too much pain. 

"Just call her kahit for the friendship. I wished I have someone who has been with me since I was 3. That's something worth saving, bunso." The thing about Ate, she don't call me bunso that much unless she's really serious. Well, I guess she is right now. 

She eventually ended the call when I change the topic and asked about her pregnancy. She hates it kasi I'm being a fake ass lang daw. But to be honest I really want to know about my pamangkin. Would I be a good Tito? I'm actually afraid na wala akong ambag na values sakanya. Just like what Ate said, if it's a boy, hindi niya papalapitin sakin kasi baka turuan ko lang magpaiyak ng babae. 

The first day in New York was boring, mom and I are still adjusting to the time so a lot of things didn't go as plan. 

"Your dad called." I suddenly got up from bed. My mom didn't knock. Mukang kakagising lang din ata niya. 

"Miss na agad niya tayo?" I smirked and walked towards my mom. Yayain ko siya kumain sa baba to have a late lunch. Pero nagulat ako noong binatukan niya ko. Mom never hit me or something, ngayon lang. 

"Call Eli. Hindi kita pinalaking ganyan. You are not a ghoster, you hear me."

"Huh? who said I'm ghosting Eli?"

"Your Dad. It is not something you should do sa babae, lalo na kay Eli." 

"Mom, again, I'm not ghosting anyone."

"Then make sure that's clear. Pagsisihan mo yan kapag hindi naman pala si Eli ang ghostbuster mo." She smirked at nauna na sa kitchen like she read my mind na nagugutom ako. 

"Let's go to the sikat bakery around here. I asked the driver na." She changes the topic just like that. I just nodded baka mabatukan nanaman ako pag sinabi kong gusto pa matulog. The helpers are all shocked seeing my mom doing chores. They all look uncomfortable, pagkinukuha nila yung gawain from my mom's hands, mom will smile and tell them no need. They eventually stand near her and watch her parang inaantay nila kelan makakabasag ng plato yung nanay ko. That's so difficult to watch. 

When it's time to fix ourselves, bago pa man makapasok yung nanay ko sa kwarto niya, I asked "kelan pa tayo nagkadriver?"

Tumawa lang siya at umiling. But actually, that was a genuine question. Sobrang mahal ng cost of living dito. Hindi ko kinakaya paano naafford ng nanay ko mag hire ng driver. I am in awe. 

While fixing myself, I checked the clock. 2am na sa Pinas, feeling ko hindi pa tulog si Eli because nagrereview siya so I called her on facetime. 

It took just 2 rings, before she answered. 

"Hi" I shyly said. Nakatapat camera ng phone ko sa kisame so I picked it up and face the camera. 

"Punyeta, magdamit ka nga." She said angrily. 

"Nagbibihis ako eh. wait." I was topless pala. Pero hindi naman yun nakakagulat. Lagi naman kami nagfface time pag nagwworkout ako minsan. 

"Anong oras na, ngayon ka lang tatawag." she added with her cute angry voice. 

"I got scolded and hit by my family for not saying goodbye sayo." I answered and sinuot na yung black turtleneck na nakuha ko lang dito sa closet. Siguro mom went shopping at siniksik yung mga damit na binili niya for me dito. 

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. Akala ko kasi next month ka pa aalis. Tapos my classmate said na dumaan ka daw the other night, sobrang wasted ko hindi ko na maalala."

"yeah right. papaalam sana ako sayo and tatanungin kung ano man yung gusto mo sabihin sa yacht club kaso your friend" I emphasized that, "didn't trust me to take care of you."

She nervously chuckled. "Wala yun. So kelan ka uuwi?" I don't understand Eli, sometimes she'll be so sad about her feelings, sometimes she's like this, just being my best friend. 

"I'm planning actually to stay here until the next school year. I want to take a short course here. Preferably about business to help the Grid." 

"Oh so you're into businesses na?" she's teasing me. 

"I don't know yet. Maybe." 

"Tito Thirds will love that."  she smiled widely which I cannot detect if it's a fake one or a genuine one. 

I smiled back. And there's a long silence. 

"Eli, we are okay right?" I finally asked

Her facial expression changes. "Huh? Oo naman."

"Okay ka na from the last time we talked?"

"Huh? alin don? wala na yun." She chuckled, a fake one. 

"I'm still your best friend right?"

"Yeah. Takot ko lang na baka 'di ka makahinga pag wala ako." She mocks my speech. 

"I hate you." 

"Excuse you, you love me more than I love you." I think forever na niyang gagamitin ang speech na yun against sakin. 

"Whatever. matulog ka na. you have a class pa ata. Ace your exam!" I saw kasi na side table lamp nalang niya yung bukas. 

"Goodnight, Troye!" 

before she could end the call, I saw the sadness in her eyes. 

"Eli, one more thing." 

She did not answer but stares in my face. Waiting me to say my pahabol. 

"Uhm ano, send a list of pasalubong you want. I'll buy it all." I even winked. 

"Yey. Stay safe." she uttered before ending the call.