3

"Anak, you brought your meds right? First aid kit?" My mom's in my room trying not to panic because I'll go tomorrow sa retreat.

Napailing nalang ako at natawa.

"Are you sure you can do it? Maybe I can ask Eli to join you nalang. First week of classes palang naman. Puro course orientation lang yun."

"I'm fine, mom! At isa pa, let Eli study. Sooner or later you have to accept na she isn't always available like before to babysit me." I went in front of my mom and held her hands.

"You're so grown up na. I can't. Your sister is married and you know you also." She's teary-eyed pa.

I chuckled at that. I'm too young for marriage.

"Ma, stop overthinking. And If I were you, I'll book a flight to somewhere and drag dad with you because both of you need to enjoy retirement."

"We will soon." She assured me and hugged me. After a few minutes, she helped me packed my bags. It's just a 3-day retreat in Batangas.

Later that night I even received a call from Atsi, Kuya Ian and of course Eli. They just reminded me the things I should bring and all.

"Troye, Dinner time!" I heard my dad shout. So I went down. Of course I have to witness him and mom flirting near the dining.

"Troye is having a 3-day retreat." Dad even winked at mom.

"And so?" My mom trying to act like she didn't get it. Or maybe she didn't nga.

"Ever heard of Menopause baby?" Dad asked. And that's it, I have to interrupt them.

"Excuse me. I'm in here." I reminded them.

Dad just chuckled and mom blushed. Haay nako.

"Try to adopt if you want another baby. I can't afford to be hurt again." I honestly said.

"Your dad is just joking. I can't get pregnant na. It's too late." She assures me. I just rolled my eyes kasi hindi pa rin tapos tumawa yung tatay ko.

"Hatid kita tomorrow then sunduin kita by Wednesday night diba?" He finally changed the topic.

"Yep. You brought my readings na ba?"

"Yeah it's in my bag. Get it later."

"What readings?" My mom asked.

"Basic stuff about the Grid. He wanted to help daw, Angel." I feel like Dad is still doubting I wanna do this.

"Maybe you should try visiting hospitals too? Malay mo." Mom suggested. Here we go again. They didn't want to decide for me pero they wanted to bida their professions. Ewan ko na.

"Did he tell you about Annie?" Dad suddenly opened up. Nasakit na ulo ko sa mga magulang ko.

"I thought hindi mo na siya crush?" Mom turned to me.

"Hindi na nga po. Si dad lang naman pumipilit."

"Wala naman akong sinasabi. Annie will have her immersion sa the Grid. They even met." Kwento ni dad. I just let them. I think Mom wants me to decide about lovelife. I mean she never really told me who to like or not like. She's really chill.

"Ohh Annie will take culinary right?" Mom asked.

"Yeah. Sabi niya and ni Anton. Too bad hindi mo na siya crush, pwede ko naman sakanya nalang ipamana if maging daughter-in-law ko siya." He jokes. My mom and I rolled our eyes. We hate dad kapag ganito ang jokes niya.

"That's a bad thing to say, please take it back." Mom pleaded.

"Sorry. I was just kidding. Really want to retire lang at walang mapasahan." I felt bad for him. Sometimes I wanted to just give in and tell him ako na ang bahala. But I can't. They didn't raise me like that. They wanted me to choose what I want.

"It's okay." I said.

I volunteered to clean the dishes so they won't fight or flirt in front of me.

I made a mental note to schedule a visit at the hospital with mom and try really hard to love culinary for dad.

I can be both if that's what will make them happy. I'm just so blessed to have another chance in life and I'll be willing to do whatever will make them happy.

________________________________

"Good morning everyone! I am father Jim and welcome to Youth Retreat!"

That's just welcoming remarks. We did activities, groupings, and lots of eating. I met a lot of new faces. Some are going inside the seminary and some are youth leaders of some organization. I'm the only one who went here because I have nothing else to do. Not that I'm complaining but it's sad that I am not excited to do anything.

"For our last activity, this is optional. Father Niko will distribute a notebook. In this notebook you will write everything you wanted to tell to the world. Anything. Anger, pain, love, kindness, etc. Think like you're talking to your best friend. After that, you can head back to your quarters and sleep." Father Jim said.

When I received my notebook, some are heading already in the rooms. And I just found myself alone in that chapel. Thinking something to write.

Diary Entry #1

I know it's late but thank you for giving me a heart. I was a little boy back then, I didn't know if I had a chance to say thank you. But here I am, with all of my new heart, I am grateful.

And if there's something you would want me to do, please tell me. Because you gave me a new life. And I don't know what to do with it.

After writing that, I head back to my room and have the most peaceful sleep I had in years.