18

"So anong oras umalis Dad mo sa Pinas?" Mom keeps using her phone habang naglalakad kami around the NYU. For some reason, she can really be a tour guide sa buong campus. She even said na may anak yung friend niya na rito nagaaral.

"Around 9am there when I called, he told me na punta lang siya The Grid then he'll book a flight na. I fell asleep na. I didn't get to ask about his flight details."

"Oh. I'll ask Kristine nalang. Do you think she knows?"

"Maybe." I shrugged. My Dad won't get lost. Based sa stories nila ni Mom, I think my Dad used to travel so much here because of Mom.

She just nodded.

We started to roam around and then when we reached the admission office, the lady greeted my Mom. Are they close?

"Beatriz!" She even went near us to hug her.

"Catherine!" my mom squeezed the lady into that hug. They are making chika but I actually roamed around her office. Her nameplate says "Head of Admission."

"Troye, come over here." My mom finally called me and I sat in front of Ms. Catherine.

"Ang poging bata naman. Kamukha ni Chef." I just smiled. She gave me lots of brochures and pamphlets.

"Based sa sabi ng mom mo, I think the best thing you can take is the Corporate Finances class. Because business related short courses need at least 5 years of experience."

"These three are all available starting tomorrow." She added. She pointed at Corporate finances, investment philosophies, and corporate sustainability.

"This one will start after you finished the other three." She's pertaining to the Advanced Valuation.

"Ano ba yan, Catherine. Ang dami balak mo ba patirahin dito anak ko?" Mom joked.

"Give your child to enjoy New York, ikaw nga dati ayaw umalis dito."

My mom laughed it off.

"Mom, can I take it all?" I kinda whispered but I still feel na narinig yon ni Miss Catherine.

"Yeah sure, Anak!" She smiled.

Miss Catherine, showed me on her computer on how she easily put me on the student list and told me about the things I should do. My Mom left me there to pay for the classes. I felt guilty but then she told me this is the payment of my hardwork sa The Grid.

Miss Catherine continued to orient me. She asked me if I needed a campus tour. I told her it's okay and that I can figure it out tomorrow since I think Mom will still walk me to class. She laughed and said na that really sound like my mom.

She told me also na malamig sa classrooms and that I should bring a jacket or something. So I made a mental note of that.

Pagbalik ni Mom, Miss Catherine and her planned a dinner together to catch up. I even heard Aunti Zel's name.

When they're done, I pressure my mom to tell me the where's the classroom assigned for me tomorrow. And I'm amazed that she knows it. Sabi niya si Uncle Loel ang nagaral dito pero bakit saulo niya?

When we went back sa house, medyo madilim na. Mom even said she's craving for something and that we should order food nalang. But upon arriving, we can both smell something na niluluto.

The helpers are giggling in the kitchen so Mom and I went to check what's happening.

I smiled when I saw my Dad teaching everyone how to cook whatever he's cooking. All of the helpers are listening and taking notes. The face of my Mom soften a bit.

"You're both home now." Dad said after seeing us. The helpers greeted us as well.

Mom just opened her arms so Dad went to her for a hug. They stayed like that for a few minutes so I had to check what he's cooking.

"Another tip: don't flirt while cooking." Bulong ko to the helpers and they all laughed. I just turned the fire off the stove kasi mukhang okay naman na. But Mom and Dad are still hugging each other.

"Oh Cmon! Get a room." I teases at binatukan nanaman ako ng Nanay ko. She finally let my Dad go and said na gutom na siya.

"Did you find out?" I whispered to Dad and he nodded.

When we were eating, Dad keeps telling funny stories about Atchi and Kuya Ian. Ate's asking for a lot of food daw.

"She said she specifically want a pizza from Italy. And Ian was panicking so much."

"What did you do?" Mom asked.

"Told Ian to buy in Amare, a friend's pizza place. And then the next day I made pizza and delivered it to her. She's eating so much pizza. Baka triangle yung apo ko paglabas."

And we laughed. It felt nice to eat with these two na ang problema lang eh baka maging triangle yung pamangkin ko.

I hope Dad won't be mad if malaman niya na I enrolled na and that I will be staying for a few more months.

Diary entry #37
I still pray na whatever painful thing my mom is carrying will be gone nalang.

But then, thank you Lord for everything.