Chapter 3 - Soren

^Soren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

POV: Soren (District 4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up earlier than usual this morning. I'm not sure if I slept at all; I'm too tired to tell. It's finally the big day - Reaping day. One year ago today, they took Roman from us into the Arena, and none of us were the same again.

I slip into a simple shirt before I open the door to my room, allowing the noise of my family's conversation into the quiet room. I slowly trod down the stairs, squinting at the bright lights. Jasmine is already at the table, eating with my mother. They're also sitting with Roman. I offer a small smile, but it's pointless to try and mask my nerves. I stop behind Roman's chair, shaking his shoulders playfully.

"Big day, huh?"

My mother laughs a bit as Roman rolls his eyes. I sit down next to him.

"When are you leaving?" I ask him.

"At 10," He says. "Cressa's showing me around and making sure I don't have a panic attack."

Good. Who knows what Roman's been through, but I know today's going to be an interesting day for him. It doesn't help that I'm in the Reaping bowl with an even greater chance of getting chosen.

When I finally head out to the Reaping with Marina and Jasmine, we end up stuck at the end of a long line of fishermen to enter the town square. I'm dressed in my Reaping outfit from last year. It's definitely too small - I've grown a lot since last year - but I can't take Roman's, since my mother burned it last year thinking it was cursed after Roman was Reaped in it. The line moves quickly, and a guard draws my blood after I give him my name. I wince, but the pain isn't too bad. Jasmine cries as they take her blood, but Marina wraps her arms around her, holding her close. Jasmine is only 6, so she's not totally aware of what's going on.

"I'll see you after the Reaping," Marina says. "Good luck."

Her voice trembles a bit. I can tell she's doing her best to stay strong for all of us, since the rest of us can't. She carries Jasmine, who is mindlessly playing with her hair, to the section of the audience with adults and children.

I'm transported to a section of the crowd where the Reaping-eligible boys are being held. I don't see any of my friends nearby; I share most of my friends with Roman, and most of them are over 18. Not to mention the fact that most of them are not related to any past tributes. The usual propaganda film begins to play, reminding us of the two rebellions that brought us to today, and I tune it out as I scan the stage.

At the front is our escort, Indigo Laquette. She's dressed in all turquoise to match District 4's fishing theme. Behind her are the Victors and Capitol Officials - On the left of the aisle is the mayor and his wife, followed by a Peacekeeper and two other Capitol officials. On the right of the aisle is Roman. To his right is Cressa, a blonde young woman about Roman's age. She's also a recent Victor, so Roman has taken to her over the last year. Next to her is Seamus Carter, who's a sharp-looking young man in his mid-thirties, followed by Georgina, a middle-aged woman who I don't know much about, and finally, a tired but wise-looking old man in his late sixties - Griff, one of the mentors this year according to Roman. All five of the Victors are stone-faced. Roman isn't the only Victor with a relative in the bowl this year. I know Cressa's younger brother is eligible this year because he's 18. I think the three older mentors have nieces and nephews in the bowl as well, although none of them have children within Reaping age.