Chapter 9 - Saylee

A/N Some of us may be confused! No, you didn't miss anything. Saylee, unfortunately, is a character we haven't seen much of so far in the story. When this story was a script, I was able to add little short scenes to introduce her a bit, but she doesn't have any contact with any of the previous narrators, so this chapter will have to do as an introduction.

^A picture of Ada from District 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 9

POV: Saylee (District 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I nervously follow Angelica to the advanced obstacle course. Ahead of us, Nia from District 11 darts under a moving bar to pass the finish line. I wish I could have the confidence to ask her to ally with us, but unfortunately, she's already a part of a larger alliance. A larger alliance that wouldn't want a District 8 kid like me.

I've never been the most agile. I'll definitely be putting the obstacle course, which is adjustable, to the easiest setting.

Angelica, on the other hand, is very agile, so she cranks the dial all the way to the hardest configuration. She once told me the only reason she's so agile is because of the trees in District 11. Working in the fields, she became nimble due to her job climbing tall trees to reach fruit, and from expertly swinging from one branch to the next without falling.

"Very Hard," she tells me, pointing to it. I nod but roll my eyes - ever since I told her I couldn't read, she's been pointing everything out and telling me what it says. The "Very Hard" button is the farthest to the right and is colored red, so I could have figured that out on my own.

I hear a noise from behind me and turn to see two boys behind us. I'm pretty good with names, and I remember their names from the Reapings - Leon from District 6 and Rowan from District 7.

My heart drops as I see Leon snickering at us. I feel my face heat up. Just because I can't read, doesn't mean I'm not smart, and no boy like him can tell me otherwise.

"You got a problem?" Angelica asks him bluntly.

Leon shakes his head, amused. "You sure you want to try the hardest setting? I don't think anyone's watching."

I relax a bit. He's not talking about me, it's Angelica who he has a problem with.

Don't get me wrong, I love Angelica. She's one of the only people who has actually cared about me since I got here. But, one of her biggest flaws is her temper.

Acting before she thinks, Angelica fires back, giving Leon an offended look. "I've been doing this stuff my whole life; I'm sure you couldn't do any better. Do you even have trees in District 6? I bet I could beat your ass."

Leon rolls his eyes, stepping up to Angelica who glares up at him. The tension is palpable, and I'm so afraid of Leon, I take a step away from the pair. Rowan also gives me a nervous look, stepping back from Leon. It looks like he's not going to break up the fight, but I don't want to step in and make myself a target.

"Listen closely," he hisses. "I could beat you in a fight any day. All it takes is the snap of your tiny little neck. Be very careful who you mess with."

Leon is getting really angry, his face turning red as he speaks through gritted teeth at Angelica. I finally come to my senses, grabbing Angelica's shoulders and turning her around to face the obstacle course.

"Let's just go, okay?" I beg her. "Prove him wrong. No point in arguing."

Angelica nods and enters the obstacle course, but not before glaring at Leon. A line has formed behind us, waiting for Angelica to go.

"Sorry, I know we're all a bit on edge after what happened with Ada," I tell the boys, referencing the fight between her and the boy from 10 that took place just a short while ago.

Rowan nods understandingly, but Leon scoffs at me. Giving up on the conversation, I turn around and focus back on the course, cranking the knob to the green button that I'm sure probably reads 'Easy.'

Some boys just can't take the high road, it seems.

~

There's Saylee! And a few other characters we haven't heard at all from. Thoughts on Angelica and Leon's rivalry? Do you think Rowan will try to step in like Saylee did?

~S